What's new
What's new

Question about paint

Oil based enamel. There is a lot of info in the forums about paint, just search "south bend paint" and you can read for days. Most use one from Sherwin Williams. There are a few that have used Farm and Implement paint from a local tractor supply.

I just did mine with a urethane and I've very happy.urethane is harder than oil.i brushed on primer,brushed on first coat of paint,then sprayed with hvlp sprayer and it came out wicked nice.

I just completed painting a 13" SB- Benj Moore Super Spec HP Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel (P22)
Lathe Bed.jpg

This was applied with a foam roller and brush over mostly bare metal- no filler or primer. All this based on reading/watching the various restoration threads/utubes here and other places. Not a perfect paint job but it leveled out pretty well. I will be satisfied if it proves to be durable- time will tell.

Bert

urethane shot from an HVLP gun, don't ever look back!

I just did mine with a urethane and I've very happy.urethane is harder than oil.i brushed on primer,brushed on first coat of paint,then sprayed with hvlp sprayer and it came out wicked nice.

Im suprised there isnt more urethane guys out there, loved spraying it on cars.... where are you guys getting your paint from ? ben moore have urethane ? "guess i got my answer from Bert " !!!

I just completed painting a 13" SB- Benj Moore Super Spec HP Urethane Alkyd Gloss Enamel (P22)
View attachment 191130

This was applied with a foam roller and brush over mostly bare metal- no filler or primer. All this based on reading/watching the various restoration threads/utubes here and other places. Not a perfect paint job but it leveled out pretty well. I will be satisfied if it proves to be durable- time will tell.

Bert

Great color Bert ! Is that the same color as Brad's 13" resto "basement shop guy" ?

That color is Benj Moore "dry sage" I could not find the Benj Moore code for "Brad's color"

If you're looking for the best advice for a first class job look to "xplodee" who responded above- I think I recognize that Heavy Ten from some of the utubes I've watched. I don't have the equipment or PPE to spray right now and am trying to get my lathe up and running.

Bert

That color is Benj Moore "dry sage" I could not find the Benj Moore code for "Brad's color"

If you're looking for the best advice for a first class job look to "xplodee" who responded above- I think I recognize that Heavy Ten from some of the utubes I've watched. I don't have the equipment or PPE to spray right now and am trying to get my lathe up and running.

Bert

Brad's doing a shaper restore with the paint prep and painting done in my shop, we haven't started the paint process yet but hope to soon. Check out the first part of prep here:

South Bend Shaper Restoration - Part 4 (Casting-Prep For Paint) - YouTube

Tim

Tim, already watched that video... cant wait to see your method for priming and paint !

btw was watching your sb lathe video.. loved the fit and finish.. wondering about your chip tray.. noticed you only painted the bottom and rim... did you clear the top or leave it unfinished ?

thanks,

Joe

Bert

Bert, looks great ! love that color as well !

Joe

Tim, already watched that video... cant wait to see your method for priming and paint !

btw was watching your sb lathe video.. loved the fit and finish.. wondering about your chip tray.. noticed you only painted the bottom and rim... did you clear the top or leave it unfinished ?

thanks,

Joe

Glad you're watching it! Brad and I are putting in some serious hours this weekend so I hope he has some new videos to show everyone soon.

I do not recommend clear coating steel ever. It will rust through the clear coat and then you can't buff/oil it. It recommend polishing steel as much as possible to remove crevices and then keeping it oiled within a dry shop- it won't rust then. My chip tray was media blasted then sanded down from 60g to 600grit and then scotch-brite'd orange and grey (medium and fine). It gets so much oil that there's never an issue and I don't have to deal with paint chipping on the rim! I highly recommend the work.

Not only does all the prep work make for a nice looking end product, the reality is that a clean/polished/smooth paint and metal job actually makes the machine hold up nicely for longer than a rough un-prepped paint job. The paint sticks better and oil and chips come off easier. Yes the paint scratches so it won't look glossy eventually but so what. And it's very easy to touch up annually to keep looking fresh.

T

Bert

It's kinda hidden, but does exist in the 13" thread. Although late, here's the link:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...13-restoration-247779/index3.html#post1894985

It's kinda hidden, but does exist in the 13" thread. Although late, here's the link:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...13-restoration-247779/index3.html#post1894985

Hey Brad, thanks for the link.. i found the paint info the other day and took a still photo of the mix ingredients... love the color ! im looking to shoot single stage urethane with hardener.. hoping ben moore can make that formula in that style of paint... Loving your videos... keep up the good work !

Joe

Hey Brad, thanks for the link.. i found the paint info the other day and took a still photo of the mix ingredients... love the color ! im looking to shoot single stage urethane with hardener.. hoping ben moore can make that formula in that style of paint... Loving your videos... keep up the good work !

Joe

That is a Ben Moore code! The first batch I got (for the 9a and Drill press) was Sherwin. But the 13" is Ben Moore. They're literally identical though. Good luck man - looking forward to seeing the results.

Brad or Joe,
If either of you gets the Benj Moore paint could you post up the color code? I saw the one on Brad's paint can but apparently didn't get it right.
Reversing Gear.jpg
The vise is my first try at SB Green, the reversing gear is "dry sage" Neither is the green like Brad's I was trying for.

I thought Brad's restorations were the "gold standard" for paint and finish. Now Tim is helping him to raise the bar. Looking forward to the rest of the paint series.

Thanks, Bert

Brad or Joe,
If either of you gets the Benj Moore paint could you post up the color code? I saw the one on Brad's paint can but apparently didn't get it right.
View attachment 191339
The vise is my first try at SB Green, the reversing gear is "dry sage" Neither is the green like Brad's I was trying for.

I thought Brad's restorations were the "gold standard" for paint and finish. Now Tim is helping him to raise the bar. Looking forward to the rest of the paint series.

Thanks, Bert

Here is the patin code in one of my videos - the Pedestal Grinder video (which Tim will be working on these coming months).

Restoration of a South Bend Pedestal Grinder: Part 1 - YouTube

Brad or Joe,
View attachment 191339

Thanks, Bert

Bert, This was the formula20170213_003701.jpg for the 13" SB Lathe

Back