What's new
What's new

Question re: takeup nut for 9" Junior

Oldmansteve

Plastic
I have a 9" Junior manf 1918. I need to find a new takeup nut. I see them on Ebay, and some say "for Southbend 9 or 10k". But they don't specify if they are referring to a 9" Jr or Workshop and since the JR is less common, I assume they mean a 9" workshop lathe. I know that the 9" Junior shares some parts with the heavy 10 (10L), some with the light 10 (10K), and not sure about any overlap with the 9" Workshop lathe. I can't seem to keep it all straight. Does anyone know if the take-up nut for a 9" Junior from 1918 is the same nut as any other model? What are the diameter and thread pitches for each? I measure my spindle at the takeup nut threads to be 1.125" and appears to be 20 tpi. While I am asking specifically about the takeup nut here, it would also be useful to know what other parts are interchangeable with my lathe if anyone knows. Thanks.

Interesting, we don't see many early 9" machines- what is your serial number? My 1927 9 Jr also appears to have a 1.125x20 spindle thread. I don't have a 9" workshop spindle to measure, but the 10R and 10L would certainly be too big.

allan

Anyone here have a 9" Workshop lathe or a light 10 who could please check the spindle diameter at the take-up nut and the thread count for that nut? Would help me out greatly.

I just went and looked. You are correct. Cast into the inside of the lathe bed is a casting date in 1927. I've restored lots of old equipment in my day and it's been a while since I looked.

Back