Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default stud gear change

Thanks for the input Boss. If I change the 18 tooth gear to a 24 tooth. I think the gear box labeling will not match what I am actually cutting. If I can figure out a way to install an 18 tooth on the outside of the gear box on the output shaft, then another 18 t on a jack shaft left end then another 18 T on the right end of the jack shaft; Then install a 24 T on the lead screw shaft. If I have the room without interfering with the apron, By doing this the gearbox labeling will match the actual cutting rate. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are in a pickle without hard measurements...the 13" gearbox will work with the 24T gear but the question becomes will the box fit and line up with carriage on your machine??

Honestly if I were you I would be looking very hard at that electronic lead crew conversion...that fixes everything without question....any thread,imperial or metric,diametral..any feed rate....probably cost less too.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the input Boss. If I do as you suggested I think the actual threading will not match the gear box nameplate. I have an idea to run past you. If I install a short output shaft on the right side of the GB with an 18T gear. Then a jack shaft with a 18T gear at each end. then place 24 T gear on the lead screw I think this will keep the gear box labeling to match the actual thread being cut. I will have to insure the jack shaft setup would be short so it will not interfer with the appron. What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With a 24T stud gear the 13" will thread as it is labeled.

Feeds, however may not be as labeled.

It is getting way too complicated.

Pics of the machine would be SOOO helpful...one pic of the end gearing and a measurement of the diametral pitch of the spindle gear and I would put all my research-fu to work! I live for this stuff!
    Man, I would love to help but need something to go on!
    Last edited by iwananew10K; 03-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.

5. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The whole point of changing the end gear from 18 to 24 is so that the gear box label will match what you are cutting. As for the feed rates, that actually depends on gearing in the apron. That is, assuming you have a lathe with power feeds.

allan

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in the US right now and will try to send photos when I get back home. I will keep you posted on my project with this conversion.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kitno455 View Post
    You can use a gearbox from a lathe with basically any leadscrew pitch, you just have to turn the gearbox slower or faster to match your leadscrew.

The 6TPI single tumbler machine shown in jay's picture uses an 18 tooth stud gear. If you put an 8TPI leadscrew on that box, the threads it cuts will be finer than those on the chart by a factor of 8/6 (or 4/3). So, we need to speed up the input to the gearbox by the same ratio to correct it. In this case, put a 24 tooth gear in place of that 18, and you will turn the gearbox at 24/18 (or 4/3) of its normal speed.

The number of teeth on the leadscrew gear is not really changeable, since it does not have variable center distance.

allan
    Hello Allan, I am ready to return home to the Philippines, so have been studing the installation/conversion of my 1910 13 inch lathe to a quick change gearbox. Thanks to your clear explanation I feel more confident this will work. Thanks for your help. The one issue i have not settled is the center line of the lead screw compared to the gear box. Of course i am hoping it will line up but I will not be able to confirm this dimension untill i get home. I have an idea on how to do this. I do foundry work so i will make a brass casting that would bolt to the bed of the lathe, on the left side will be a hole in line with the output shaft of the gearbox a sproket will be mounted on the gearbox output shaft. Below that shaft I would have another set of shaft holes so that a jackshaft could be mounted (sprokets on each end). From the right hand side of that shaft a roller chain would attach to the lead screw. This would allow me to have a variable length for adjustment of the unalligned leadscrew/output shaft on the gearbox. still thinking on this idea. Maybe i will come up with a better idea.