What's new
What's new

Quick Q1 - ball detent on sliding gear on 1929 wide 9 (heavy 10 style)?

mattthemuppet

Stainless
slowly piecing stuff together on my wide 9 project and I have a couple of Qs - this is the first.

It looks like the gear that meshes with the large gear on the end of the QCGB can slide in and out to change the gear reduction from the spindle. Big clue is the "don't slide while lathe is turning" label on the gear cover :) Other one is the two grooves on the shaft it turns on.
IMG_9915.jpg
IMG_9916.jpg

Both the large hole and the smaller threaded hole line up with the 2 grooves in the in and out positions.

My guess is that there should be a ball bearing and spring in one of those holes that would act as a detent in each of the 2 positions. A 5/32 ball bearing fits in the threaded hole but there's barely enough room for a single coil of spring before there aren't enough threads to retain it.

Any ideas?

The threaded hole is for a screw that holds a leaf spring that puts a bit of pressure on the ball bearing in the other hole .
My heavy 9 was missing the spring and ball when I got it , so I made a spring out of a piece of hack saw blade .
The spring needs not be very strong , just strong enough to keep the ball in the indent .

Back