What's new
What's new

Quick Q2 - removing spindle pulley and bull gear on 1929 wide 9 (heavy 10 style)?

mattthemuppet

Stainless
Next question - I'd like to remove the spindle pulley/ sheave and bull gear from the spindle on my 1929 wide 9 to clean everything out properly. I haven't been able to find any posts where someone has described doing it. The spindle sheave, gear and large ring next to the gear are one piece and rotate around the smaller ring seen to the left of the gear. My assumption would be to support the bull gear and press the spindle through all of that, but I don't want to break anything!
IMG_9917.jpg
IMG_9918.jpg
IMG_9919.jpg

Cone is distinct and separate from "bull" gear which is tight on spindle

Note in face of bull gear is locking device / "bolt" that is either clamped to cone or not.

If not engaging cone, cone and its left end washer are free to slip off end of spindle - unless stuck in some unforeseen way - like being GALLED to spindle due to indifferent lubrication over the years

Easy to tell - when "locking device" is unlocked, cone MUST be free to turn on spindle - ready to fall off left end of spindle any time

Then you will have a spindle / bull gear assy ready to work on bull gear removal

(small gear is part of cone assy)

thanks John, stuck it in the oven this morning while the wife was asleep and it pressed out nice'n'easy. The thrust spacer/washer to the left of the cone/ spindle pulley is keyed and pressed on, as is the bull gear. I pressed the spindle out through the whole lot, but reassembled by pressing the bull gear on first, sliding the spindle pulley on and then pressing the spacer on. Neither of them are especially tight, though not something I could do by hand. The gear at the end of the spindle on the other hand is a real tight fit!

IMG_9927.jpg
IMG_9929.jpg

Back