What's new
What's new

Rare accessory on my South Bend 9

Nik1979

Plastic
New to the forum. I’m going to look and probably purchase this old 9” B .Any help identifying this accessory??
I have a turret style handle on an accessory that can latch on the lead screw, never seen this. I’m going to get the lathe next week was curious what it is. I can’t find the picture posting option.

Ok, posted a pic, after more inspection I think it’s a 9 c 4-1/2’ bed, everything in the drawers and in the pic are included. Lathe looks like it’s hardly been used. They were asking $2300, I threw a grand at it, they took it. Maybe a good deal maybe not I’m happy. For now…😁 should of never sold that Sheldon🤦🏻*♂️

This looks like a custom, home made tailstock adapter designed to be lead-screw driven. You could, if wanted, put the lathe back to original by removing it and getting the correct tailstock base. Pretty cool setup actually.

Yeah I never saw anything like this. Can’t wAit to go pick this bad boy up and see all the extras.

Looks like it could drive the tailstock by the lead screw or by the handle, depending on the task. I'll bet it was used for production work with a lot of drilling and reaming of long bores. That would certainly beat cranking the tailstock handle, moving the tailstock, cranking the handle, etc. Looks like a wicked cool setup to me.

I saw that lathe. Wish I knew he would have taken $1,000 or I would have taken a shot at it :-)

That unit is a homemade unit made from SB apron parts.

All the pieces are slabs of plate welded together.

And, yea, you never should have sold the Sheldon :-)

If SB had made it, it would have been castings.

Pretty creative, though.

Steve

Back