What's new
What's new

Recent Purchase and Questions: 10K Plus Tooling

USNmechanic

Aluminum
I bought this 10K off Facebook Marketplace earlier this week. The seller posted it as a SB 10" 3 foot bed with lots of extras. In the only picture he posted, I could see a micrometer stop and a milling attachment, two items I've been looking at for a while for my 9A I restored a couple years ago. It came with a lot of other tooling too, and I figured that as long as those items fit I could sell the rest as a package for at least the asking price of $800. I went and picked it up during my lunch break, and there was quite a bit more than I expected:

IMG_6748.jpg

IMG_6749.jpg

IMG_6725.jpg

It came with the 19 collets (1/16-5/8") and drawbar, two milling attachments (ones and Atlas I think), several chucks, several micrometer stops, a thread stop (which I've also been on the lookout for), a full set of dogs and driver, some nice centers, a nice shop-made radius attachment, lots of HSS, and other stuff. The lathe itself seems to be in really good shape, but dirty and lots of flashing. I haven't turned it on yet since I want to do some cleaning and lubrication, but I can still see a lot of the flaking on the ways and there are no nicks or ridges.

After looking over the lathe, I think I may keep it as it seems to have some nice features my 9A is missing, like the wipers and dial on the tailstock, and especially the 6K collets. I wish it had the follower and steady rest, as those seem to be pretty rare on all the regular sites, and pretty expensive when they do show up.

I have a couple questions about the carriage stops:

IMG_6750.jpg

Is one of them the more correct model for the 10K or 9A? Two of them have the micrometer dial in the center, and the stop rods are smooth. The other has the micrometer dial on the left end, and the stop is integrated into the acme screw. Also, one of the first type of stops looks to be modified. It's missing the inverted vee, and has a different clamp style:

IMG_6751.jpg

Can anyone confirm that it has been modified, or is this meant for a different model lathe?

-Keith

nice score!
the one has been modified to fit an Atlas(10 or 12" most likely)...the lightweight milling attachment is also Atlas...good ebay fare.

The stop with the exposed thread is a Sheldon stop....a member here just purchased one and would like to have it I'm sure....tobpnr I think is the right username.

Thanks for the information! I may repair the stop so I have one for both the 9A and 10K. I'll also check in with tobpnr to see if they're interested in the other one.

If you use an Aloris type post on your 9", take the compound off it and put it on the 10K....the extra room it will give you over the compound gives you a ton more tooling options.

If you like the result you can snag a 9" small dial compound off ebay cheap and swap your large dial assembly in it...keep or sell the original 10k compound.

If you use an Aloris type post on your 9", take the compound off it and put it on the 10K....the extra room it will give you over the compound gives you a ton more tooling options.

Thanks iwananew10K. I'm currently using a 10-in-1 tool post assembly. I like it, but it is a pain when switching tools for a lot of different operations. I was just making some new threaded studs for a Rockwell/Delta 6x48" belt grinder cast iron stand. I had 8 studs to make, and I didn't have a 3-jaw chuck. I was stuck with the decision of whether to zero in the chuck once for each stud and then reset the tool post height for each operation, or set the tool post height once and then zero the chuck 8 times for each operation. Let's just say I got a lot of practice zeroing in my 4-jaw chuck during this project. I also have a lantern tool post, but haven't really been successful with the 3/8 x 7/8 tool holders. With the holder slanted down as far a possible towards the chuck, I have to extend them out pretty far to get the cutting edge on center. I would like to eventually order the MLA-23 toolpost kit. I'll be sure to try the 9" compound on the 10K when I do!

consider a Norman patent type tool post too, very easy to make and gives you the height adjustment stability of the Aloris type with the flexibility of the lantern...

sounds like you are having fun! :)

Back