What's new
What's new

Refurbishing a South Bend 9 clone

tonnyandre09

Plastic
Hello chaps. Well it is moving forward and I appreciate the help and the replys I have gotten here. I have decided not to use the old original 3 phase motor and just get a new 1 phase. But have changed the bearings and refurbished the old motor in case I decide to sell it. Next job is to make the shims to the headstock. Could these be made out of soda cans? Or do I need to buy thin brass shets?
9551fb52eafd50979f2426fa0a344c2e.jpg

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

You will need to adjust the bearing shims within about 0.001 inch or so, so unless you are very lucky, aluminum can thickness will not work by itself.

Next job is to make the shims to the headstock. Could these be made out of soda cans? Or do I need to buy thin brass shets?

I think it was a point in the book Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance the comparison between a shim made out of some beer can or whatever stock and
a official bmw bought shim. If it was me I would use brass. You can buy cut sheets like 12" square in your thickness requirement and make shims.

I remember that. It was for a handlebar shim. Pirsig had some good stuff in there but overall a pretty dumb book.

Does not matter the material really here but the shims need to be correct within about one thou.

I remember that. It was for a handlebar shim. Pirsig had some good stuff in there but overall a pretty dumb book.

Does not matter the material really here but the shims need to be correct within about one thou.

In school people use words like dumb when they don't understand the subject. Dumb means a lack of knowledge. That book had a lot of stuff in there
that bores the average joe.

In school people use words like dumb when they don't understand the subject. Dumb means a lack of knowledge. That book had a lot of stuff in there
that bores the average joe.

Dumb: pirsig is a poor writer, self-indulgent and self-important. Boring: lots of text on obvious mechanics skills. Not worth the read. Glad you enjoyed it.

Dumb: pirsig is a poor writer, self-indulgent and self-important. Boring: lots of text on obvious mechanics skills. Not worth the read. Glad you enjoyed it.

I didn't enjoy it because I am a average joe. It was a gift and I felt compelled to read it. It kept going over the same stuff and that was boring to me.

Back