What's new
What's new

Removing apron from saddle--14.5 inch South Bend.

Anyone here done it?

I want to partially disassemble lathe for move.

I'd like to have QCGB--Lead Screw --Apron as a sub-assembly still joined together but free of the rest of the lathe.

What do you Think?

Thanks,
Larry

Good way to bend your leadscrew, leaving it all together like you want. Take your gearbox off and slide it off to the left, leaving the leadscrew attached. Mind the worm key when the leadscrew clears the apron. Then unscrew 4 bolts and drop your apron free.

Thanks hsracer201.

Found 3463.pdf online. Apparently you need only remove remove the lead screw bearing support and the screws joining the saddle to the apron and slide the apron off the lead screw.

Then I can remove the Taper Attachment. Band clamp the saddle to the bed. Unbolt bed from pedestal. Voila!! Now 2 of us can move and reassemble the lathe w/nothing but cherry picker and dollies.

And that's why SOUTH BENDS RULE!

Thanks,
Larry

Thanks hsracer201.

Found 3463.pdf online. Apparently you need only remove remove the lead screw bearing support and the screws joining the saddle to the apron and slide the apron off the lead screw.

Then I can remove the Taper Attachment. Band clamp the saddle to the bed. Unbolt bed from pedestal. Voila!! Now 2 of us can move and reassemble the lathe w/nothing but cherry picker and dollies.

And that's why SOUTH BENDS RULE!

Thanks,
Larry

The best way to do it is to remove the lead screw, remove the apron, and then remove the carriage. If you still want to remove the QC gearbox you can do it any time after removing the lead screw.

To remove the lead screw, place the appropriate socket on the first of the double nuts holding the lead screw inside the QC gearbox, then run an extension through the hole on the left side of the QC gearbox reaching through the hole to drive the socket. An air wrench will make quick work of removing the two nuts.

Move the carriage to the midpoint of the bed then remove the right side lead screw support. With the worm drive groove down, pull the lead screw out the right side of the lathe. Note that the worm drive key can and probably will fall out, but is easily reinstalled later.

The apron is quite heavy and will fall when the 4 (I think) cheese head (fillister) screws are removed from the front top of the carriage.

The carriage can be removed after taking off the rear bed gib.

If I remember correctly, the QC gearbox is held on by 2 cheese head screws that go through the top of the bed. It would be prudent to remove the banjo before removing the gearbox.

Back