What's new
What's new

Removing horizontal drive spindle - South Bend Model 5

patrino

Plastic
Hello, I picked up my first lathe late last year, it's an old Model 5. It's in pretty good shape, and I've made a few odds and ends with it, but I've also been spending time giving it a "tune-up".

There's a lot of slop in the spindle bearings for the horizontal drive. Fixing up the horizontal drive seemed like a simple enough project. Any idea on how to remove the spindle from the supports? I have the "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend 9A, 9B, 9C and 10k Lathes", but the Model 5 design is different (a bit simpler).

I've removed the screw and locknut that pair the pulleys to the spindle. (The pulleys are tight and/or locked to the spindle.). Following the general path of the "A Guide to Renovating", I should drift the spindle out of the mounting, from right to left. I've given a couple fair raps on the right-hand spindle end, with a brass drift and hammer. The spindle and pulleys moved ~1/8", but no more.

There appears to be a dowel or taper pin retaining the drive wheel to the spindle. I gave it a couple gentle taps on both sides of the pin to see if it'd move, but no luck. (I thought maybe if I got the drive wheel off, I could try drifting the spindle out from left to right.)

Any suggestions on how to remove the spindle from the mounting arms? Before I start using heat / whacking a bit harder / etc. I figured I'd ask folks.

Thank you! Patrick

Hello, I picked up my first lathe late last year, it's an old Model 5. It's in pretty good shape, and I've made a few odds and ends with it, but I've also been spending time giving it a "tune-up".

There's a lot of slop in the spindle bearings for the horizontal drive. Fixing up the horizontal drive seemed like a simple enough project. Any idea on how to remove the spindle from the supports? I have the "A Guide to Renovating the South Bend 9A, 9B, 9C and 10k Lathes", but the Model 5 design is different (a bit simpler).

I've removed the screw and locknut that pair the pulleys to the spindle. (The pulleys are tight and/or locked to the spindle.). Following the general path of the "A Guide to Renovating", I should drift the spindle out of the mounting, from right to left. I've given a couple fair raps on the right-hand spindle end, with a brass drift and hammer. The spindle and pulleys moved ~1/8", but no more.

There appears to be a dowel or taper pin retaining the drive wheel to the spindle. I gave it a couple gentle taps on both sides of the pin to see if it'd move, but no luck. (I thought maybe if I got the drive wheel off, I could try drifting the spindle out from left to right.)

Any suggestions on how to remove the spindle from the mounting arms? Before I start using heat / whacking a bit harder / etc. I figured I'd ask folks.

Thank you! Patrick

I'm not that familiar with the Model 5's, but I suspect there's nothing secret about the horizontal drive shaft. More than likely, you are simply running up against a burr left by a setscrew on the shaft. If not mistaken, the setscrew (with locknut) should land on a flat machined into the shaft. If there isn't one, then a burr is probably the obstruction.
See if you can't turn the pulley cone while holding the larger drive wheel...sometimes that can knock down the burr.
Personally, I'd leave IN the taper pin holding the large drive wheel to the shaft. Just oil the shaft best you can and get a bigger
brass drift and bigger hammer. Continue as the book states. There shouldn't be anything holding it back that I know of offhand. By the way, the collar (see photo) next to the pulley cone does NOT have a machined flat, and I can guarantee that the setscrew has left a burr.
(In the future, it is always advisable to attach a photo of your problem, otherwise we can't see what you see).

Good luck.

PMc

View attachment 324069

Thank you, mcload! I was able to get the pulley cone moving separately from the spindle, so am now going to 'get a bigger hammer'.

My drive assembly doesn't have one of the collars in your photo (nor does there appear to be room for one, in the assembly) - that may be one of the differences between the 9x models and the Model 5s.

I'll report back once I make some additional progress, but thanks again for the info.

Back