What's new
What's new

Repainting 13" SB 1954

ST3LLR

Plastic
I've been stripping down my 13" South Bend 4853TKL12 *1954 and I really need to find out what color I want to paint this hunk of fine iron. I know that South Bend has gone through many different paint colors over the years. That said, I'm more interested in avoiding colors that would be out of mines era rather than searching for the magical right color. I see a lot of forums talking about golds, greys, blues, and "new" and "old" colors with no dates and I have the slightest clue where to start on my search for a historically accurate(ish) color. I do like some of the grey-blues others painted their machines with but I'd have to assume those were much later from mine's date?

Here's the current paint on mine, done by the previous owner.
afwefewafaew.jpg

I have read quite a bit of these forums. I have seen a few that have what they think is right, in the same vein as you're thinking. But i never did gather that it was all that exact.

I'm a little obsessive over certain details, but not so much in this area. I choose color based on what I like per machine. But I can tell you its pretty hard to go wrong with any particular machinery gray.

Not sure if it will help you or not, but there 20 something pages of South Bend picks here:
South Bend Picture Gallery

I use a variety of colors in oil based enamel. I have had the best luck with Magik brand from tractor supply. Very oil resistant and holds up well. I have used Massey Ferguson gray on a few machines. That color is probably a shade too dark.

They have a special line called Antique that is online order only, and I think will ship to your home. I was thinking I might give two colors a try. They come in gallon or quarts. Notice they have dates associated on the color tag:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...actor-truck-implement-ford-medium-gray-gallon

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-antique-tractor-truck-implement-ford-gray-quart

Exact color of either I'm not sure, but research may help. Should have a bit of gloss to both.

Welcome ST, history is written by the victors... 50 years from now when someone else is restoring your lathe this same question will come up and your color might be the one that they like. (I vote for something other than grey) Jim

One popular color used by more than a handful of restorations I have seen here and on the yootoobs is Gloss Smoke Gray from Rustoleum. It's an oil based enamel. As long as the surface is clean of dirt, it goes on easy. I did 2 to 3 light coats and it came out great. Takes a while to dry, but after a week or so, it's extremely hard and durable.

Thanks for all of your help! I eventually ditched the whole "right color" mentality and settled with a nice shade I found on the forum.

SOUTH BEND GRAY by bradjacob.
PaintFormula.jpgPaintColor.jpg

I'm always amused by folks who obsess over the absolutely correct color of machinery grey paint for their South Bend. The joke is that within a month of using the newly painted lathe and making stuff out of metal, the paint job is pretty much ruined by hot chips, lube oils, and cutting fluids. It's not worth worrying about. Machine oil makes a wonderful finish for cast iron machinery components.

Thanks for all of your help! I eventually ditched the whole "right color" mentality and settled with a nice shade I found on the forum.

SOUTH BEND GRAY by bradjacob.
View attachment 319921View attachment 319922

Hard to really tell the actual color you chose due to different lighting temperatures and different cameras, There are as many opinions on this forum about paint color as there are
about lubrication oil. Ultimately, the decision is up to you 'cause you're the one that will have to look at your machine from day to day, not those on this forum. And just because
it might be an "original" SB period-correct color doesn't mean it's going to look good anyway. (And with all due respect, this forum doesn't care all that much about originality anyway).

If I might offer a suggestion, before you commit the whole machine to this "South Bend color", I'd paint something small first like the tailstock or maybe a few guards
just to see if you do like it. Actually, I found an original S Bend color under a switch plate on my '58. I had it matched; painted the apron, and was completely under-whelmed
by how it looked. Kind of a baby-crap green. Ultimately, I went back to the machine gray that I've always used and liked.
If you are anti-gray, maybe try black.

Like Texas Gunny said above, spend some time in the South Bend Picture Gallery for suggestions....there are some really great-looking machines in there.
And its okay to obsess about color; machinists obsess about everything else so why not. Just keep it clean from time to time and the paint will last.
Or just walk away from it covered with crap and it won't.

Besides, South Bend saw fit to paint their machines at the factory, otherwise they could have saved a lot of money by just spraying them with diesel or Cosmoline.

IMHO

Thanks for the post. I did a lot of browsing on the gallery, and that's ultimately what made me decide just to go with a color I liked, which coincidentally was just another of SB's colors. The paint looked good on the spindle cover so I'd say it's fair to commit to it.

Post some pic's when you are done so people can gang up on you about it not being the correct hue... (just kidding, but it would be good to see your finished product)Jim

Back