What's new
What's new

Replacement gear help for 16" SBL

ETRem1

Plastic
Would anyone know where to get a replacement gear for a 16" SBL. The main gear as seen below (please feel free to help with terminology) is missing a tooth. It is approximately 6 3/4 in diameter and roughly 80 tooth.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help. would you happen to know where one could be found?

I have been reading that the idler gear just serves as a spacer and the exact tooth count doesn't change threading. Do you know if thats the case?

Thanks again

True...but it needs to be big enough for it to reach the stud gear.

I think your gear qualifies for a repair job....but I'm also sure someone will have one...you can buy new off the shelf but it ain't cheap.

I am just getting to the gears portion of my new to me lathe but I am surprised that our gears look so different. Mine is a 1941 16" toolroom lathe. Here's a pic of mine for reference.

_NIK0195.jpg

I am just getting to the gears portion of my new to me lathe but I am surprised that our gears look so different. Mine is a 1941 16" toolroom lathe. Here's a pic of mine for reference.

View attachment 252077

I believe what you're seeing is the difference between the single tumbler (sliding gear) and double tumbler (no sliding gear) gearbox arrangements.

You can contact Boston Gear about a new one or take your gear to a machine shop and have the broken tooth built up and profiled. Then, set that gear train up properly. The mesh between the stud gear and idler gear in your pic is nowhere deep enough, and likely contributed to the broken tooth if the lathe was being operated like that.
Keep checking fleabay to see if some slug is cannibalizing a double tumbler 16" in the hopes of doubling his auction investment money. Good luck. PB

Back