What's new
What's new

Replacing Oil Cups on 8" Jr.

G-Man24

Plastic
Greetings all. I'm starting a clean-up /resto on an old Southbend 8" Junior and noticed most or all of the little oil cups have the spring loaded lids broken off or missing. These are the small (3/16"?)drive-in Gits type.

What is the best approach to removing the old ones? I was thinking maybe a short piece of wood dowel or aluminum inserted inside to keep them from collapsing and grab hold with a Vise-Grip and twist ? ....E-Z out ?

A wood screw. A drywall screw with the coarse wood threads will grab the cup without leaving debris behind. Use pliers to lever them out.

In the past Amazon is a surprising good source of Gits oilers. Looking today shows the prices have seriously changed since I last bought oilers on Amazon. In the realm of doubled or more in less than a year

years ago a used machinery co. went under and a pal of mine was working there i got to rape the hell out of a lot of the machines that were going to be junked and oilers was one of the things i took i have repaired the gits oilers are far as replacing broken springs missing lids / flap even as far as re soldering or replacing the lid hing in the cup for the ones that i did not have a direct replacement or a new one would stick out like a sore thumb as in the used any thing gig its all about the illusion the surface woman have been doing the same from the beginning the surface is an illusion and yes the price of the gits is up there but at lest they are there

The oil cups on Amazon and eBay are something like $25 for a pair. You can get them cheaper from McMaster-Carr, depending on which ones you need.

Back