What's new
What's new

Restoring Data Plates

mm58

Hot Rolled
Hello group,

This question is for the hardcore SB lathe restorers. What can I do to restore the various metal placards, dataplates, and nameplates on my 1947 SB 10L.
I don't want to just clean them up, I want them to look "new". Have any of you ever had new ones made up?, or is there a trick to bringing an original one back to life? ANy comments appreciated...

Mike

There's a guy on here that makes new ones, or templates for new ones (can't remember which). So stay tuned 'cause he'll be here!

Pete

I bought a metric change gear chart from a guy on ebay - I think he's the same one mentioned above - and at the time he had several different plates available. You might take a look there if you can't find what you need elsewhere.

Blob

If they aren't too beat up, you can hit them with flat black paint (and/or red, depening on the placard), let it dry real good, and then wet-sand the numbers and letters back up by laying a piece of 400# wet or dry on a sheet of glass, surface plate, or other smooth, hard, flat surface (granite countertop). After the lettering is back up all over, hit with clear laquer to keep the shine.

Reproduction Lathe Plates

I can supply reproduction plates that are etched brass like the originals or less expensive non-etched plates. Send PM or email for more information.
-- Jim

Hi There,

If the plates still have decent paint and are
just dirty and tarnished, I've had good results
polishing them with Simichrome.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Thanks Jim.. I'll be in touch

Mike

I can supply reproduction plates that are etched brass like the originals or less expensive non-etched plates. Send PM or email for more information.
-- Jim[/QUOTE]

I am one of a number of proud owners of Jim Kull's repro plates for my 9A.
His work is superb :cool::D, and if I needed another plate, he'd be my resource.

By the way, Jim, I offer my public "thank you!"

Joe

Thanks Joe!
In addition to the etched brass plates, the less expensive non-etched plates appear to be very popular. I've also had requests for plates made of aluminum and stainless.
Jim

Yep. Some of the plates are aluminum. I opted for the aluminum non etched for my 10L and Jim assures me they will be here soon. I will let you seem them when they get here.
The sample he sent was very nice.
Tour

Back