What's new
What's new

Restoring lathe catalog no. 25-YB, 9" Swing, 3' bed

Colin_in_Socal

Plastic
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I recently purchased a South Bend lathe. The lathe has a plate stamping on the side of the gear box that shows Riverside Machinery Depot (looks like the original purchaser of this lathe based on information I found). I have been having trouble finding any information on 25-YB South Bend lathes (even just a picture of one). I want to make sure if I am missing any of equipment (stands, chip pan, etc.), that i will try to find it or at least set it up as close to its original design. The guy I purchased it from seemed to "mickey mouse" set up with the machine attached to a pallet with wood screws in order for a quick turn around. I do give him credit to where the lathe runs, but in no way do I want to leave in this condition. If any one knows information about 25-YB or can lead me in a direction to find more information, it would be much appreciated. Also this is the first lathe I am restoring, so if any one has suggestions on key things I should pay attention to or anything else, please feel free to give advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20181103_124800612.jpg
    IMG_20181103_124800612.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20181013_230256163.jpg
    IMG_20181013_230256163.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 224
So, you've got a Series O, Catalog No. 25-YB. That's a 9" Standard Change Gear lathe, with power feeds, but no gearbox. Based on the covers on the headstock, and the brass trigger on the reverser, I'd guess its from 1925-27 or so. The serial number (top left end of bed) could date it more exactly.

allan

Congratulations- and welcome to the iron addiction- this may be the first of a number of these-such things tthat'll sneak into your life. Your machine looks pretty intact (hopefully you got a tailstock that just isn't in the photo?) and, especially for its age, relatively un-abused. Thankfully, too, no one seems to have done a drive-by and slop-the-new-paint version of an 'alleged restoration.' Things like chip pan, various types of legs or stands, etc., were all pretty much 'available options' rather than 'standard issue.' The current owner of the South Bend name still has "cards" on older machines that show, based on the serial number, what a particular machine was shipped with (which very possibly may not have included any chip pan or factory stand, many were DIY-ed), and who the original buyer was (I think they charge something nominal like $25 to look it up and provide you with a scan). I do not know for sure of how far back the 'cards' go but can't hurt for you to check. Unless it turns out to have had some famous first owner that would merit returning it to a precise rendition of its original exact as-delivered state, you might as well go 'handsome and practical' for a mounting surface rather than compulsively-original non-originality.

Be prepared that unless someone really, savagely, soaked you on the purchase price, you will almost certainly sink more money into re-doing it and "tooling up" than you did to buy it. I first 'got into' this line of interest (I'd wanted to since forever, it just took until 5 years ago for the opportunity) with a free-if-I-moved-it LeBlond lathe of larger scale and slightly older vintage. Between tooling it up and various "secondary symptoms" of other machines that have followed me home, it's not been a casual overall investment... but you can pace things as you go, and people on here are a wealth of knowledge and very generous in sharing what they know. Enjoy!

I've got the same model with the same brass trigger. I started cleaning it up and painting it a few weeks ago. It's obviously still kinda torn apart. And while it came with a motor and pulley set, none of it was assembled and some of that stuff was missing. lathe.jpg

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Here is a 1920's catalog. You will have to search the pdf files. South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - 1921 South Bend Lathes, Catalog No. 67 | VintageMachinery.org
I dont know if you have found this website yet. You will have to search but information on your lathe could have information in there.
Its possible that your lathe is to old to be in the publication's.

Not knowing your level of experience the How to run a lathe book is good to know.

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How To Run A Lathe | VintageMachinery.org

South Bend Lathe Works - Publication Reprints - How To Run A Lathe 55th Edition | VintageMachinery.org
There are two parts to that book. I have the two links in reverse order.

Also Steve Wells website is a wealth of information.

The SBL Workshop

Back