What's new
What's new

Restoring South Bend 10L lathe made around 1945

don crowe

Plastic
I am restoring a South Bend Lathe Catalog # 8187 RN S/N 126915 DWW 10L. Made around 1943 I'm trying to buy a book showing expanded views of how the various parts of the lathe were assembled. Main interest is the carriage, tool post and taper attachment areas.
Help as to what books contain this type of detailed information and where to purchase the books would be appreciated.

This should help. Copy and paste as necessary if it doesn't link. You will need adobe to open it.

http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper Books/South Bend/CE3458 Parts Manual.pdf

The book off eBay is good also and walks you through some of the processes in order.

Thanks for the info. I hate to admit it but I took the cross feed and taper attachment apart with out taking pictures and now I'm having trouble remembering where all the thrust washers go. Hopefully this book will have expanded views that show all of that.
Thanks again

Thanks for the info. I hate to admit it but I took the cross feed and taper attachment apart with out taking pictures and now I'm having trouble remembering where all the thrust washers go. Hopefully this book will have expanded views that show all of that.
Thanks again

In order from the rear side of the taper attachment:

Washer/bearing/washer
Taper sleeve
Washer/bearing/washer

After that depending on what setup you have, one goes between the graduated dial and the dial bushing. The last one goes between the gear face and the end of the dial bushing.

The last two are possibly not included on your machine. If you want a picture of an actual assembly apart and laid out how it goes together I’ve got two on the workbench right now.

Sounds like you have a great lathe. I have a 1947 South Bend Heavy 10L
S/N: 182564
Bench Number: 1643-3D-1035
Bed Length: 3 ½
Catalogue Number: 187ZN

SB Lathe Side View 1.jpgI have rebuilt the headstock bearings,have had new cross slide and compound screws made, am getting ready to make a pair of large dials. If you need help or have questions let me know.

Frank

Back