What's new
What's new

Reverse Gear Measurements Request!!! for Older 9" South Bend

Bowtie_Finn

Aluminum
Hey Everyone! The other day I was offered a sweetheart deal on a older 9" SouthBend, of which I couldn't pass it up! Overall the lathe is in great shape, minus a rattle can paint job that sprayed the lead screw. This model has the single reverse gear (over the more convenient tumbler) - which it didn't come with :cryin: - as pictured!

I was wondering if anyone who has the reverse gear wouldn't mind taking a few measurements (shaft length/number of teeth/etc) - it would be much appreciated !!! As I am hoping to spin up a new one!

Thanks in advance !

that lathe takes 20DP x 14.5PA gears....do you know the tooth count needed?

there is a chance it is the same as the INNER gear as used on the later 9s with the reverse lever.

however asking Ted may prove your best bet for OE parts-

[email protected]

LOL - would have been helpful if I had posted a pic of the lathe itself :) If I understand it correctly, this model didn't use a tumbler, but just a gear on a shaft and was removed when reverse wasn't needed?

Attachments

• SB9_1.jpg
    SB9_1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 83
yep...model 5 variant(405??) it takes a 20DP x 14.5PA 24 tooth gear for the reverse position.
i would hazard a guess of approx 1934(orearlier)as year of manufacture...you can confirm that with the serial number.

ha! im far more prone to misremembering than you are Allan! :)
am i mixing it up with the spindle gear??

Bowtie- for sure verify that tooth count, fortunately easy enough by determining the diameter it would require.:)

Back