What's new
What's new

Road trip

jcollings

Aluminum
Today I am going to see a 9-inch Southbend 4 ft bed. I contacted the person last night about making the trip, also two months ago talked to him, so this morning I contact him him and confirm that I'm on my way. 70 miles after I pull off the expressway I get a text from him saying oh there's people here they already bought it. You're going to kill me and I'm sorry. I said to myself yeah I'm mad took a day off work wasted time wasted gas unbelievable. people out there ..........say what you mean and do what you say.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Yes, people suck.
I make a point to ask people to hold it for me until I get there, if it farther away than across own. If I am not there by the time I said then open season. But always call with an update if any delays.

That's the crazy thing I was right on time schedule, he said he'd be home at 10am. I showed up I got into town at 11:10. 70 miles with some traffic that's about right.
If somebody had called me and these other people showed up I would have said, Somebody's on their way if he doesn't buy it then you're free to buy it. but obviously as you know all people aren't a man of there word.
It used to be where your word was almost a contract same as shaking a hand, but in today's age it's all lost.

Well the price was high that's why two months ago I talked to him. so when the price came down, that's went I went back and contacted him again. from the pictures I saw the bed did have some pretty good wear. my main purpose was to pick up all the attachments and accessories that were with it and maybe resell the machine at a much lower price.

I’m sorry. That’s really pathetic. It could have saved you some heartache and expense in the long run though. Might be one of those blessings in disguise.

It's funny, this morning when I rebooted my phone it crashed and I said oh I don't have any way to contact this guy because I'm going to go look at this machine. but luckily I had a spare device with backup information and I was able to get the number. but that phone crashing in the morning should have told me how my day was going to go and I just should have said forget it. ;)

When I get into a situation like that, I offer to pay MORE for the item if the person will hold it for me.

But then, the seller has NO OBLIGATION to hold it for you. What if you get there and decide that it isn't right for you? If another buyer had said he would buy it previously, the SELLER is now screwed. When I set something like this up, I give a deadline that the BUYER must be there to view the item. I then schedule other potential buyers at later times.

Anyway, as a buyer, you should have been there at 8 AM, even if it does mean that you'll have to vait for the seller. After all, the first $$ on the barrel head scores the deal.

When I get into a situation like that, I offer to pay MORE for the item if the person will hold it for me.

Yes this is a good tactic, Ask them if they are taking offers, usually listed as OBO in add, and offer MORE than the add is listing- that will be BEST offer, most people do not think of this- only lower.

But then, the seller has NO OBLIGATION to hold it for you. What if you get there and decide that it isn't right for you? If another buyer had said he would buy it previously, the SELLER is now screwed. When I set something like this up, I give a deadline that the BUYER must be there to view the item. I then schedule other potential buyers at later times.

Anyway, as a buyer, you should have been there at 8 AM, even if it does mean that you'll have to vait for the seller. After all, the first $$ on the barrel head scores the deal.
I guess if you tell someone and schedule times then it means nothing to you to change them.
Personally I always would tell people " I have somebody coming to look at it that I have talked to last night and this morning so to be fair if they show up and they don't buy it I will contact you " the person that was selling this item could have easily told me the night before or the morning of that he had other people coming to look at the machine and I can't guarantee that it would be there, if you drive the 70 miles to come look at it that would also have been Fair.
But I guess people have different opinions on Fair and word.

Thats nothin......you try the local free ad s/bag element.....they actually take money for something,you go round to pick it up ,its gone.....someone offered more....then its not theirs to sell,been a mistake,advertized for wrong price , etc..."heres your money back"......yeah ,what about truck hire?.

That has happen to me. Now I'm there when the sun rises sitting out front and usually they will see you out there waiting. I wait until 7:00 to knock on the door. Then they offer you some coffee because they haven't had theirs yet. It's wrong to sell out from someone you know is on the way. A person's word isn't what it use to be.

Back