What's new
What's new

SB 10 Hvy Crossfeed Dial Upgrade

Cyoung

Plastic
My SB 1942 10 Hvy has the small cross feed dial.
After SB shut down and while Joe (Plaza Machinery) was still around, I would call several times a year, but none available.
If I'm not mistaken, the large dial is a 100 graduation??
I'm 70 now, and still looking.
The grizzly south bend is no help.

It has the telescoping taper attachment.

The threaded screw is 7/16" shaft and no thrust bearings.

There is a gent on eBay that sales a splined shaft.

Hoping someone in the forum has:

1. Extra set of complete parts.
2. Some parts.
3. Has made there own and made drawings.
4. Etc........

Thanks to all.

They actually made two versions of the large crossfeed dial, one is 0-100 graduated ( you need to half the difference to get your diameter) and the other one is 0-200, or so-called direct reading, where the dial does the divide by two for you.

Either is step up from the smaller dial.

The graduations on any dial for cross feed or compound rest alike, depend upon the threads per inch of the screw. Its a math equation. Rotating dial 360 degrees back to the zero mark, x amount of times will equal 1". Not sure about that swine metric system :D.

As an example, the crossfeed screw on my 16" is 11/16" - 8tpi. Eight full revolutions to make 1". A radius reading dial has 125 graduations, where a direct reading dial reads 250 grads. The math is on a radius reading, .125" x 8 = 1".

If your dial has 100 grads, then it would be a 10 tpi screw, reading radius. 10 x .100" = 1"

I have two large dials on two 16"s. One radius, one direct:

477.jpg 478.jpg

Making one might be be an interesting project.

Edit* The reading on dial is exact movement of compound or rest. This equals to a radius reading, as a tool will push into one side of the work. But the affect to work is 2x. The math is still based off threads per inch of the screw driving it.

Last edited:
Texasgunny, those dials are beautiful! It's a damned shame they are so hard to come by,
and so expensive when they do show up. I'm lucky to have one on my 9A model, and its not all that large.
(200 grads)

PMc

View attachment 305252

Back