What's new
What's new

SB 10K collets

mwill135

Aluminum
Interested in starting to use collets. Recently acquired a Linley boring/milling machine. Thought having some collet blocks for work holding might be nice. Would like to get collets that would crossover quickly and easily to my SB 10k. Recommendations on collets and set ups that folks find “best fit” for my set up?

My understanding is that the 10k lathe spindle was designed to accept 6K collects directly but that you can also use 3C collets with a spindle sleeve and different draw bar. 6k collets are good to 5/8” and 3C to 1/2”. 6K are more rare and more expensive than 3C.

If you don’t already have collets of any type I would look into an ER32 or 40 collet chuck, backplate for your lathe and matching collet blocks for your mill. Might be a cheaper way to go and ER32 will allow for 3/4” through the headstock.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Hi there! I remember seeing you on HSM, I'm known as Nickel City Fab over there.

I have 3C collets for my lathe, but if I was gonna make collet blocks I would probably go with ER collets.

If you can get some square and hex bar big enough, you could make collet adapters for your spindle nose to take the Linley collets in your lathe spindle I bet. That way you're only keeping one set of collets around and they would swap between machines. At least that's what I would want to do.

Back