What's new
What's new

SB 10K Countershaft Drive Oilers

Bklimek

Plastic
I've got a 10k (2286KAR7) I picked up a couple years ago and I've been slowly getting it back into working order, cleaning rewicking and so on. I've largely finished everything except the drive unit and I ran into an issue. At some point in the past I think a previous own started greasing the countershaft bearings (one bronze, one cast iron I think) instead of oiling them. Now the passages are totally blocked with what I assume are hardened wicks and I can't get anything through them. None of the parts breakdowns I've seen show the type of oilers I have on this style of horizontal drive so I'm not sure how to get them removed without totally destroying them, but I feel like they need to be removed if I'm going to access those passages for cleanout and wick replacement. I've included a few pictures for reference. If anyone has some thoughts on getting these oilers out without destroying them or rewicking them I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20210111_073014.jpg
    20210111_073014.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210111_073018.jpg
    20210111_073018.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210111_073028.jpg
    20210111_073028.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210111_073034.jpg
    20210111_073034.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 73
Grease fittings for sure. The way that is set up is odd. All the ones I have ever had the oilers were on the top. Leave the fittings there and drill holes for gits fittings in the top of each bearing. Broach a keyway on the hole centerline and add a felt wick. Will last until your grandkids throw it in the dumpster when you pass to the afterlife.

The IPB is nice, but to answer your question, I think those oilers just press in. I think a pair of pliers and a gentle twisting motion will remove them and if you are careful they can be reused.

Those are oilers. The bores should have oilite bushings (2 each) with a gap in the middle where the oil comes in. No wicks.
http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/905G.pdf

Thanks very much for the information. I ended up dripping some solvent into the pathways from the top and eventually loosened the material enough that I could push a piano wire through and dislodge what was in there without removing the oilers. Both of them had wicks that were fouled with grease. I looked at the diagram you linked and it doesn't match this setup. The left side definitely has a one piece bronze bearing that's grooved and bored for the oil hole at the bottom. The right hand side looks like it's a single piece cast iron bearing. Maybe somewhere along the line the original bushings got replaced or I've just got an oddball machine!

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up getting them cleared out without having to pull the oilers after all. Finally close to having this thing running!

One side looks like it could be a babbitt bearing. Take a knife and you can easily carve a bit off the edge. The other side was likely a replacement for a neglected babbitt that wore out. Get it wicked and oiled and it'll be fine.

I've got a 10k (2286KAR7) I picked up a couple years ago and I've been slowly getting it back into working order, cleaning rewicking and so on. I've largely finished everything except the drive unit and I ran into an issue. At some point in the past I think a previous own started greasing the countershaft bearings (one bronze, one cast iron I think) instead of oiling them. Now the passages are totally blocked with what I assume are hardened wicks and I can't get anything through them. None of the parts breakdowns I've seen show the type of oilers I have on this style of horizontal drive so I'm not sure how to get them removed without totally destroying them, but I feel like they need to be removed if I'm going to access those passages for cleanout and wick replacement. I've included a few pictures for reference. If anyone has some thoughts on getting these oilers out without destroying them or rewicking them I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

My 10k has exactly the same side-mounted oilers as yours. Originally mine were clogged too; using solvent and poking through with a pin loosened them up and the bearings have been well-oiled ever since.

Mike

Back