What's new
What's new

Are the larger (13 by and up) "new" Southbend Lathe's junk?

2Slow

Hot Rolled
I am looking for a roughly 13x30 manual lathe for home. I am trying to spend under 15K with DRO. The shop at work bought one of these a few years ago and it is fine, but by the time we finished optioning it up it was about 18K.

http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2SR...PAHDID=000000150859887&PARDID=682595372517870

A similar sized "South Bend" with a DRO is a more like 13K.
Heavy 13 - 13" x 3" Gearhead Lathe with Fagor DRO | Grizzly Industrial

I would rather spend 18K on quality than 13K on junk, but has anyone used the larger import SBs and are they junk or industrial machines?

Thanks,
-Joe

I sure hope they are!

The South Bend 13 x 30 mill was on a Grizzly Internet sale a few weeks ago. I've been lusting over one ever since the latest thick catalog came out. But the price was over my head. Suddenly, there it was, low $8,000s! Before I could act, the Internet price went up to $8,700. I got permission from my wife and rushed to order. Confirmation came almost immediately. Can't wait for it to arrive.

I'm a hobbyist; I just want a very good, heavy, stable lathe with good repeatability for non-production work. I don't attempt to compare the consumer South Bend to the multi-$10K commercial lathes with 3-phase 208 and even 440v motors. I couldn't make it go in my home workshop anyway, without expensive power conversion. I believe that the South Bend Heavy 13 will be a few steps higher in quality to the Birmingham that I've been using for almost 20 years.

I notice that the price is back up to $11,500 now, the Internet sale apparently ended last week. I'm thrilled that the price was briefly reduced; allowing me to buy. My Birmingham 12 x 36 will be up for sale when the new lathe arrives.

The new lathe doesn't come with a DRO. I'll have to go as cheap as possible for a 2-axis DRO. Any suggestions? On the Birmingham, I added a "Simple DRO" (now defunct brand, I believe). It works very well, especially for the price.

The new lathe also doesn't come with a Quick Change toolpost. I've really gotten spoiled with the Chinese AXA or (100 series) toolpost that I put on the Birmingham, but the new lathe takes a BXA. Are the Chinese toolposts worthy? They're much less expensive than Aloris, even used Aloris.

Ken

I am looking for a roughly 13x30 manual lathe for home. I am trying to spend under 15K with DRO. The shop at work bought one of these a few years ago and it is fine, but by the time we finished optioning it up it was about 18K.

http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2SR...PAHDID=000000150859887&PARDID=682595372517870

A similar sized "South Bend" with a DRO is a more like 13K.
Heavy 13 - 13" x 3" Gearhead Lathe with Fagor DRO | Grizzly Industrial

I would rather spend 18K on quality than 13K on junk, but has anyone used the larger import SBs and are they junk or industrial machines?

Thanks,
-Joe

We have one of the 13" Grizzly South Bends at work. As much as it pains me to say this, it's actually not a terrible machine.

For the money I'd still rather find an old Monarch or Lodge & Shipley that's in good shape, but if you're hung up on buying new you will probably be happy with it.

-Tim

Thanks. I restored a Bridgeport Mill about 15 years ago. (Heavy work, by the way). It was fun to own and use. Sold it last month. Now, I'd like to buy a brand new lathe and think that the South Bend Heavy 13 will probably not lose much value during the time I have it.

OH, and while cleaning up the Birmingham, I discovered that my quick change toolpost is actually a 200 series and will probably work on the 13" swing. So, I'll keep it and mount on the South Bend when the time comes.

I've used both the Grizzly vertical mill and the Grizzly 12" Gunsmith lathe at work. (We don't make guns but liked the large spindle bore.) I say say that they are both good solid machines with a few minor frustrations that you can work around without much trouble. We added VFD to both of them and that greatly improved their function. In the big picture, I'd have to say my Heavy 10 is an easier lathe to use than the Grizzly gunsmith machine.

I'd say that the new South Bend products are not "junk" but you'd need to really ask yourself if the added features you get with the "South Bend" versions are worth the considerable extra money, especially for more hobby-oriented applications.

Back