What's new
What's new

SB 16 2-H Turret spindle question

70chall440

Aluminum
I have an issue wherein the rear (small) bearing in my 2-H was getting very hot. I did what the manual suggested but determined that there was an issue, so I removed the rear cap to discover that the expander was not seated into the slot of the shell. I cannot say my issue/s were this exactly but its definitely something I need to address.

My question is this, how do you remove the spindle gear? The manual says gear puller or arbor press but there isn't any room between the gear and the take up collar. The only conclusion I could arrive at is that you pull on the take up collar/ring after it is unscrewed as far as possible but I wanted to ask.

I googled this issue and watched more SB videos than I care to admit and read a number of comments on forums to include this one but have not found an answer.

As to the bearing getting hot, I suspect it was not getting lubrication as I pulled all sorts of crap out of the tube. I intend to remove the entire spindle but do not plan to completely disassemble it if I don't have to. The rear (small) shell has some deformation where the expander was pushed down into it; it appears like it was in correctly once but somehow came out. When this all began, I followed the manual and attempted to tighten the expander screws which had no effect, however upon disassembling it I discovered that the cap screws were barely finger tight. If I could figure out how to get the gear off I would try and save the shell (also need to do a needle bearing conversion because the fiber board has seen better days).

Any/all help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1159.jpg

Use the take-up nut as a press to move the gear a bit. Then return the take-up nut to its original position, insert some spacers between the nut and the gear and turn the nut some more. You are trying to keep as many threads in contact as possible. Eventually, you should have just enough room for a thin-jawed puller.

If you have a small torch tip, you can also apply a bit of heat to the gear right above the keyway as well.

Anyone know where I could source a take up nut needle bearing set (kit)? I can find them for 9 and 10" lathes but not for the 16" as it needs to be 1 1/16" ID.

So, I was able to get the spindle gear off but I had to destroy the fiber washer to gain enough space to get a gear puller in there. Using the take up nut didn't really work and it got pretty beat up in the attempt.

I can now install the expander correctly, however I am wondering if I should go through the process of removing the entire spindle or not; on the one hand its all disassembled with the exception of removing the run lever, on the other hand I am not real sure what will be gained by pulling it out.

Any help with this is appreciated.

Well after thinking it over again, I decided to remove the head stock clean out the oil passages and and replace the felts/wicks. Since they have been in there for 74 years, I think it is the prudent thing to do. Now I just have to figure out how to get the head stock out, have to navigate the belt which should be interesting.

I was able to source a needle thrust bearing with washers from Grainger, we will see how that works out.

I received the needle bearings today and it looks like they will work. I also both another take up nut and fiber washer off eBay, so now I have the option of using either. In my mind the needle bearing should be better but I am not sure. I am thinking that I will try out the needle bearing before I reinstall the spindle gear, anyone have any thoughts on that?

Not sure where you're at with pulling the spindle and cleaning the headstock, but i'd recommend it, if it's still a question. The oil gallery in head stock is larger than you may think, getting all the old oil and sludge out, and nice clean oil in is real nice.

You can put gear on last, if that's a question.

Just some fyi's: Probably want spindle main bearing caps down and tight and any bearing adjustment done, before adjusting thrust with take up nut.

The fiber washer(probably with a pin, pinned to headstock ? I forget) helps control back and forth thrust of spindle inside of headstock. But the needle bearing is other controlling factor of that thrust. I'd put a dial indicator and watch thrust a few thousandths, then slowly tighten till you get to zero thrust. Keep spinning by hand so you know you're free. The fiber washer is not meant to take a serious preload, so just a hair tighter once you reach zero thrust. My end result would be between zero thrust to maybe .0005" thrust if I felt a need to back off a hair, depending on how it felt to me rolling it by hand. Maybe use a wood block and a hammer to tap spindle both ways when you're real close to settle it.

The needle bearing side not only helps with spindle thrust, but its more heavy duty than a fiber washer because it absorbs the push from cutting tool towards chuck during normal operation.

Might also decide what lube and how you want to future lube needle bearing. I believe the lube hole on step pulley, for lube between step pulley and spindle in supposed to lube needle bearing. But it's not something that has ever made sense to me, if using oil. Oil falls into the inside of step pulley, and with centrifugal force will never get on shaft. However, packing the whole cavity with grease, and using a grease gun will force grease between spindle and step pulley, and in turn force its way through needle bearing. Or you could shoot oil on needle bearing as part of normal pre-operational lube.

If new fiber washer doesn't work out, i'd probably make it out of brass and add a pin.

Thank you very much, I deeply appreciate the information and advice. I am going to pull the head stock out and clean out the oil passage/galley as much as possible, put in new felts and then put the head stock back in.

The thrust bearing (needle bearing) would replace the fiber washer. The take up nut and the fiber washer are like 3.280" OD, the needle bearing I got is 2.750" but I think it will do the same or a better job than the fiber washer.

I have read the manual, watched a pile of YouTube videos about setting up the caps as well as the end play, so I think I have a good understanding (in concept at least) of how to do both.

I intend to put some grease on the needle thrust bearing and my plan going forward would be to use a needle to squirt some more in there from time to time. I agree that I do not see oil and being a good solution or method to lubricate the thrust bearings over all. The new thrust will be covered by the rear cover but it is not hard to remove (3 screws).

I don't use the lathe all day every day but I am diligent about lubricating and taking care of it. Yes, that was my question about installing the spindle gear after I make sure everything works.

I really appreciate the help.

Back