What's new
What's new

SB 16 tailstock Slop

no1boatguy

Plastic
Hi Everyone

I have a problem with slop in my tailstock quill. I was trying to align the tailstock with the headstock with an alignment bar but the tailstock guill keeps moving. I put an indicator on the quill and with it extended to the 5 inch line there is 10 thousandths play pulling the quill toward me by hand. Pushing the quill away there is 2 to 3 thousandths. Retracted to the 2" there is 5 thousandths pulling toward me and 1 thousandths pushing away. The vertical movement up is 9 thousandths and the down is 1 thousandths.
Measuring the quill removed from the housing with calipers it does not seem out of round. The diameter is really consistent at 1.86 in. The bore in the housing is measuring 1.87 inches so about 10 thousandths larger than the quill. I have no data on what the factory bore would be of the housing. can anyone tell me?

Thanks
Dan

Thanks for pointing that out. How close should the tolerance be for that tailstock? From reading other posts I am understanding the quill is softer than the cast housing. Ted has a new quill but if the housing is worn what is the best fix?

Hi Everyone

I have a problem with slop in my tailstock quill. I was trying to align the tailstock with the headstock with an alignment bar but the tailstock guill keeps moving. I put an indicator on the quill and with it extended to the 5 inch line there is 10 thousandths play pulling the quill toward me by hand. Pushing the quill away there is 2 to 3 thousandths. Retracted to the 2" there is 5 thousandths pulling toward me and 1 thousandths pushing away. The vertical movement up is 9 thousandths and the down is 1 thousandths.
Measuring the quill removed from the housing with calipers it does not seem out of round. The diameter is really consistent at 1.86 in. The bore in the housing is measuring 1.87 inches so about 10 thousandths larger than the quill. I have no data on what the factory bore would be of the housing. can anyone tell me?

Thanks
Dan

If I remember correctly, the 16" tailstock spindle is 1.875" diameter...:scratchchin:
Ted

Thanks Ted great to know. If you are correct then is sounds like my old quill is worn will be back to you
Dan

Is the slop affecting you while feeding from the quill? If you're just using it with a center you can simply throw the lock to take up any slop in it. Not sure how tight the fit was originally but honestly I'd expect the cast iron tailstock to wear more than the steel quill, and if it was worn .010 it would have visible signs of wear, probably a shoulder out at the very end where it doesn't get fully retracted or at least inconsistent wear along the length.

When I get the post aligned with the headstock if I tighten the lock down it pulls the center off 5 thou. I guess I could align with the quill locked but each time I would have to set up and realign. I think I will do whatever is necessary to correct the problem. What would be nice to know is what the factory bore size is so I can check my tailstock bore.

Back