What's new
What's new

SB 9A Advice For Correct Arbor Type For Head-Stock Spindle Chuck

processhead

Plastic
I would like to get a spindle chuck for my 9A head stock.
As the title states, I am looking for the appropriate arbor type to use with a head stock.
What do I need to look for when shopping for a head stock spindle chuck for my lathe?
Thanks.

You are correct about the spindle thread size. It is 1 1/2 - 8 tpi.

My question is whether the bore of the spindle is sized to accept an arbor for different tools such as a drill chuck?
Or, is the threaded spindle the only attachment option for the spindle?

I may have answered my own question.
It looks like a Jacobs #58B chuck is the right tool.
Is the bore on this lathes spindle used for any other attachments?

You bet, the spindles inner taper is a #3 morse taper, which opens the door to use a whole host of accessories and operations. I second reading "How to run a lathe", it's an excellent read to get you started and a resource that you'll find handy in the future.
-Don

[/QUOTE] You bet, the spindles inner taper is a #3 morse taper, which opens the door to use a whole host of accessories and operations. I second reading "How to run a lathe", it's an excellent read to get you started and a resource that you'll find handy in the future.
-Don[/QUOTE]

Not sure about other SB 9A lathes, but the spindle on mine won't accept a MT-3 tool shank.
I do have a copy of How To Run A Lathe, 33rd addition, and it has been a very helpful resource, although I could not find any specifications about the 9A spindle or associated tooling.

Today I received a Jacob 58B chuck that I won on ebay. It threads right on to the 1 1/2 x 8 spindle threads.

Edit: After cleaning the spindle, I discovered the spindle bore had this bushing stuck in it. A few judicious taps with a drift from the back end and it popped out.

Now I can see that a MT-3 tool shank will very likely fit in the spindle bore. Mystery solved and thanks to all in helping steer me down the right path.

20180630_132200[1].jpg
20180630_132845[1].jpg
20180630_133320[1].jpg

Last edited:

Back