What's new
What's new

SB 9A thrust bearing, lube? or not.

mby852

Plastic
Hi Guys,
I'm getting ready to put my spindle back in the headstock and was wondering if the thrust bearing required any lube or oil? I'm thinking no since I didn't see it mentioned in the book. I appreciate your help!

Thanks, Mike

Hi Guys,
I'm getting ready to put my spindle back in the headstock and was wondering if the thrust bearing required any lube or oil? I'm thinking no since I didn't see it mentioned in the book. I appreciate your help!

Thanks, Mike

Those thrust bearings must be oiled every time the machine is used and re-oiled after two hours of use along with every oil point on the lathe. Make it a habit. Never use grease anywhere on that lathe.

Thanks! I see a lot of mention about using Super Lube with Teflon on the step pulley. When assembling it they say to fill in the groves but not so much as it would get into the thrust bearing.

Thanks! I see a lot of mention about using Super Lube with Teflon on the step pulley. When assembling it they say to fill in the groves but not so much as it would get into the thrust bearing.

DON'T use super lube. My lathed siezed up on that. it's not enough lube.. just oil it. if you use the back gears a lot lube it often. you don't need oil in the cone when you are not using the back gears...

if you are using the roller thrust bearings regular oil.

DON'T use super lube. My lathed siezed up on that. it's not enough lube.. just oil it. if you use the back gears a lot lube it often. you don't need oil in the cone when you are not using the back gears...

if you are using the roller thrust bearings regular oil.

OK now i"m confused. I put the super lube in the step pulley already. I can easily take it apart and remove if that's the general consensus. I won't be running it for a couple of weeks yet so I'll wait until I get more info.

Thanks

OK now i"m confused. I put the super lube in the step pulley already. I can easily take it apart and remove if that's the general consensus. I won't be running it for a couple of weeks yet so I'll wait until I get more info.

Thanks

I would take it apart and clean it out. See if you can retract your felt using thin wire. if not just clean them .

super lube didn't work for me, the head siezed up nicely. when it cooled down it released, I was lucky. Never use anything but oil on that machine.

That bearing does appear to use some oil. My 9B always needs topping up on the small spindle bearing. The other one only gets low once in a while. I'm thinking the thrust bearing is slinging that oil a bit.
Since grease is a mixture of oil and soap, I prefer to stick with oil, plain old DTE turbine oil. There's nothing on these machines that it cant be used on. The snake oil industry is alive and well even today so don't be fooled.

That bearing does appear to use some oil. My 9B always needs topping up on the small spindle bearing. The other one only gets low once in a while. I'm thinking the thrust bearing is slinging that oil a bit.
Since grease is a mixture of oil and soap, I prefer to stick with oil, plain old DTE turbine oil. There's nothing on these machines that it cant be used on. The snake oil industry is alive and well even today so don't be fooled.

I'm probably going to remove the spindle and wipe out the grease. It seems everyone so far doesn't recommend it. Well what about the back gear, oil also?

Back