What's new
What's new

Sb 9B

Lathe Junkie

Plastic
I am due to pick up a SB9B and wondered what the taper was for the Headstock and Tailstock for getting a set of Centers (Live and Dead) for it?

Having said that now I need to find a Set!! Any Ideas?

I have looked in one of the older Catalogs and found a passing note that the Headstock was a Morse #2 but nothing on the Tailstock.

Is that correct or just what do I need?

Once I pick it up I will add the Model and Serial Nr. to the list.

Thanks,

Chuck
Carson City
Nevada

I happened to check out older South Bend catalogs on the Vintage Machinery site the other day. I must have spent... or say wasted 3 hours because three of the catalogs all say that the headstock is MT-2. I was taken back because I knew my South Bend was a MT3. Then started wondering about the Light Ten. Did I have Light 10.
Anyway....must have been a misprint. But hard to believe they got this wrong in 3 catalogs spanning something like 7 years....1938 to 46.
Oh well....not to confuse the subject because I have a 9” model A. It’s a 9” workshop lathe and MT 3 at the headstock and MT-2 at tailstock. I’m pretty sure they all are and none ever a MT2.

I happened to check out older South Bend catalogs on the Vintage Machinery site the other day.

They refer to centers - not bore in spindle, almost all of which need some sort of sleeve

The general idea being both centers are the same - and the stuff sold with the lathe (like the sleeve) accommodate the small center in the spindle bore taper

Sleeve plainly shown in this page from HTRAL

SB Spindle dims.jpg

Sb9b

Thank you for all the information. I will start looking for a pair of MT2 Centres for (soon to be) my Lathe.

Any ideas on where to look other than EB??

Chuck

Thank you for all the information. I will start looking for a pair of MT2 Centres for (soon to be) my Lathe.

Any ideas on where to look other than EB??

Chuck

As long as you've got the adapter sleeve, a pair of MT2 will work. Shars tools is a good place to look, as well as KBC and Travers. I usually just go eBay for the convenience, and often end up saving a lot of money.

South bend actually refers to their spindle bores as propritary.They are chopped off morse tapers.If you put a regular MT reducer in there the center will stick way out.If you use the SBL reducer sleeve, it will be in just the right place.The common lathe dogs made by Armstrong and Williams often wont reach the faceplate if you don't have the reducer.Some will.I have a fleet of them and can usually get one to work if I need to turn something between centers.The bigger dogs have longer tails,no pun intended.

I did that with my 9A. Anyone else have a B**** of a time separating them again?

Wayne

They are meant to be self-holding. If you need to separate them and the center extends beyond the end of the adapter, just bang the end (the center end) down on a hard surface. If the center doesn't extend beyond the adapter, put a 1" piece of brass or aluminum in the end and bang the assembly down (hold it together with your hand) on a hard surface. They should easily pop apart.

They are meant to be self-holding. If you need to separate them and the center extends beyond the end of the adapter, just bang the end (the center end) down on a hard surface. If the center doesn't extend beyond the adapter, put a 1" piece of brass or aluminum in the end and bang the assembly down (hold it together with your hand) on a hard surface. They should easily pop apart.

Pretty much what I do. I keep a chunk of brass bar on the bench for separating things and knocking them out of the spindle.

Back