What's new
What's new

SB c9w Tool Holder, laydown/standup threading questions/ carbide ok for 9 inch?

casedozer

Plastic
Sorta new to lathes, upgrading tooling. Purchased Shars 6 - 12" CNC Lathe AXA Wedge qctp, looking for good tool holders. most posts about this are several years old. Looking at a.r.warner and the kit from inserts.com. It seems the a.r. are better but may not be worth the extra money for what I do. Are there others as good? A.r do have hss inserts, a nice option.

#2 will the old 9" be able to use carbide?

#3 Like to cut some threads...standup or laydown. most seem to like laydown but you need different inserts for different threads if I understand this correctly. The stand up you can cut just about any thread, although may not look as good. I have not found a stand up 1/2 tool though.

What are "standup" and "laydown" threads?

As for carbide, you can use carbide for threads on a 9". Search for a SER1010H11 holder for external threads. Ebay has vendors with kits of that holder with 10 inserts.

For tool holders, I have found that the Shars brand of AXA holders are both consistent and reasonably priced (they will often go on sale for ~$12 each). My H10 doesn't complain about them at all.

Yes you can use carbide on a SB 9" lathe although there are not many advantages to doing it. And yes you can thread with carbide tooling but I'll be willing to bet that you'll have snapped off the carbide before you finish your first thread unless you are very, very skilled at threading on a lathe. Threading must be done at very slow speed so that you can see what you're doing and react fast enough to pull the tool back out of the thread when you come to the end. Those conditions are the perfect set-up for breaking carbide tooling.

I sometimes turn with carbide insert tooling but ALWAYS thread with high speed steel threading tools.

What are "standup" and "laydown" threads?

As for carbide, you can use carbide for threads on a 9". Search for a SER1010H11 holder for external threads. Ebay has vendors with kits of that holder with 10 inserts.

For tool holders, I have found that the Shars brand of AXA holders are both consistent and reasonably priced (they will often go on sale for ~$12 each). My H10 doesn't complain about them at all.

Nice info, good prices, worth a try. Thanks

Good point, slow speed not good for carbide. Guess its time to learn to grind my own bits. Did a search on ebay for hss inserts did not come up with any. one would think there would be a market for them. Never cut a thread, figure its time to try and learn.

Good point, slow speed not good for carbide. Guess its time to learn to grind my own bits. Did a search on ebay for hss inserts did not come up with any. one would think there would be a market for them. Never cut a thread, figure its time to try and learn.

For threading, slow speed with carbide is okay, but faster is better. Just don't stop with the insert engaged - that's sure to damage the insert. Being able to grind your own is a good skill to have. With threads, getting the correct 60º angle can be a challenge.

I do all of my threading with carbide inserts, because set up is so much simpler.

... Being able to grind your own is a good skill to have. With threads, getting the correct 60º angle can be a challenge.

The single biggest disadvantage to carbide tooling in a home shop: you need a diamond wheel to properly sharpen carbide tooling.

The single biggest disadvantage to carbide tooling in a home shop: you need a diamond wheel to properly sharpen carbide tooling.

I was referring to HSS bits (but I don't see me referencing that). All I do to carbide bits is hit them sometimes with a diamond hone, to give them a slightly better edge. NEVER shoot for a razor sharp edge on carbide - it won't last very long at all. It's just too brittle.

Back