What's new
What's new

SB Drill Press Multi-Speed Attachment

maynah

Stainless
I purchased this drill press recently. When I went to pick it up, it was very dirty with dried oil and surface rust. It had belonged to the seller's grandfather and had been in storage for many years. It didn't have a multi-speed attachment. After some clean-up it was in very nice shape. A day or two after I got it, the seller got back in touch with me and said he had found a few other things that went with it and he would mail them to me. There was a chuck key, a spindle drawing, a Delta book on running a drill press, and a small bag of parts. In with the parts was a envelope that said "Screws and shoes for multi-speed attachment." Hmmm, that got me wondering. I sent the seller a picture of a multi-speed attachment and asked him if he had that laying around by any chance. He replied he did have that piece and I could come pick it up.

I have never seen another like it. I searched Google images, OMWM site, and any other place I could think of. Has anyone seen one like it? There is a knurled collar that is moved by loosening 3 set screws, then turned on an eccentric to give slack to move the belts, then tightened again. I think the other style with one screw on a split collar and handle is a better set-up. Could this be an early version?

Does anyone know the part numbers for the two belts used with the Multi-speed set-up?

Attachments

• IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 813
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,126
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 900
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,219
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 920
A few more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 313
Buy a lottery ticket right now.

That intermediate reduction setup is just about the holy grail of
south bend drill pressery.

=)

Thanks Ted for the numbers.
The table is nice, but there is one small "oops" by the center hole.
That pulley set-up is nice. I had a SB bench top drill a few years ago, but it had the more commonly seen single bolt, handle equipped multi-speed pulley.
Ted, you'll know, is the pulley above factory?

Thanks Ted for the numbers.
The table is nice, but there is one small "oops" by the center hole.
That pulley set-up is nice. I had a SB bench top drill a few years ago, but it had the more commonly seen single bolt, handle equipped multi-speed pulley.
Ted, you'll know, is the pulley above factory?

I have not seen a South Bend like that. That doesn't mean it isn't.
Ted

I cleaned up the Multi-Speed Attachment and this stamp is on the bottom. It was double struck, but says MSA-201.
Interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpg
    IMG_1605.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 327
Having a hard time picturing how this tensions. Do you have to manually set the tension between the front and middle pulley by rotating the eccentric and then locking it? Other drill presses that I've used with a center pulley arrangement just let the middle float on a crank arm, and you just tension the motor. Motor pulls on the idler, the idler pulls on the front.

That one may be shop-made.

Here's what an original SB looks like:
MULTSTP3.jpg

I have a Delta that I am going to see if I can adapt.

Steve

Bringing this back from 2017.

I just picked up a SB drill press model 14B2 and it has that exact intermediate pulley assembly.

Was anything ever found out about it?

Thanks
Geoff

Bringing this back from 2017.

I just picked up a SB drill press model 14B2 and it has that exact intermediate pulley assembly.

Was anything ever found out about it?

Thanks
Geoff

What are you trying to learn about. I am jealous about your recent acquisition! Without that middle pulley assembly these darn drill presses spin so freaken fast they are almost useless.

What fantastic timing for this thread to pop up. This is one of my next projects. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat here but I really appreciate seeing these two varieties of speed reducers. I got the steel this week to try and make one of these~!

What are you trying to learn about. I am jealous about your recent acquisition! Without that middle pulley assembly these darn drill presses spin so freaken fast they are almost useless.

What fantastic timing for this thread to pop up. This is one of my next projects. There are a lot of ways to skin the cat here but I really appreciate seeing these two varieties of speed reducers. I got the steel this week to try and make one of these~!

Overall just looking for more history, The pic in this thread is the only non-handle knurled type multispeed set up I could find. Someone even suggested it could be shop-made.

I like the handle one better because it seems like it would be much faster than loosening 3 set screws to set the tension. Wonder if there is an easy way to convert it tot he handle type.

Also mine drill press is model "14 B2" I've seen reference to some similar Models 14B1 and 14B2A curious if the model number give the manufacture date.

I'll get some pics up later today it was dark when I got home from picking it up last night. Also got an extra quill and a pile of bits and other stuff. The Seller was awesome!!!

Cant wait to get this one cleaned up, painted, and put to work!

Thanks

Overall just looking for more history, The pic in this thread is the only non-handle knurled type multispeed set up I could find. Someone even suggested it could be shop-made.

I like the handle one better because it seems like it would be much faster than loosening 3 set screws to set the tension. Wonder if there is an easy way to convert it tot he handle type.

Also mine drill press is model "14 B2" I've seen reference to some similar Models 14B1 and 14B2A curious if the model number give the manufacture date.

I'll get some pics up later today it was dark when I got home from picking it up last night. Also got an extra quill and a pile of bits and other stuff. The Seller was awesome!!!

Cant wait to get this one cleaned up, painted, and put to work!

Thanks

Should be easy enough to replace one of the set screws with a threaded handle! That was going to be part of my concept too. I already have the handle! Looking forward to your pics.

That one may be shop-made.

Here's what an original SB looks like:
MULTSTP3.jpg

I have a Delta that I am going to see if I can adapt.

Steve

Not hard. Most of these older small DP were much alike before the trashier ones started being imported.

My 1940's Walker-Turner head casting has the mounting holes for W-T's workalike.
Parts for that and the Delta show-up on ePrey now and then.

The step-pulleys are all stock Congress or Chicago Die Casting "or equivalent" mass-market items "AFAIK". Or could be, easily enough.

FWIW-not-much, a high-quality "A" section belt has given me long ages of good service vs "4L" section kleenex-grade. If one actually USES the tinier step-pulley diameters often, a "Gatorback" grip-notch could be better.

Conversion to PolyVee / MicroVee and DC Drive or 3P+VFD, even better-yet!

Drills are MUCH happier at their proper speeds & feeds, and these elderly drillpresses are really handy, tiny holes to large hole saws.

..."FWIW-not-much, a high-quality "A" section belt has given me long ages of good service vs "4L" section kleenex-grade. If one actually USES the tinier step-pulley diameters often, a "Gatorback" grip-notch could be better.

Conversion to PolyVee / MicroVee and DC Drive or 3P+VFD, even better-yet!

Drills are MUCH happier at their proper speeds & feeds, and these elderly drillpresses are really handy, tiny holes to large hole saws."...

Anyone like Gates making custom length V belts (fan belts)?

Anyone like Gates making custom length V belts (fan belts)?

There isn't a lot of "gap" in their normal catalog. Most folks just move the shafts or swing-tensioners to suit rather than even add a jockey pulley or idler!

W/R two-stage machine-tool drives, in general when the belt type are of the same type and class;

IF.. the "center", shared, shaft for the "common" step pulley set is set up to swing it may pull tension on BOTH belts in one go.

OR, it may be allowed to free-swing, and a swingign or sliding motor-plate pull tension on both belts.

CAN work for a mixed flat-belt/vee-belt/Poly//Micro-Vee belt set as well. Benchtop lathes or mills, for example.

In general? Tilt/swing plates with decent hinges or dual support points, as-in bushings or even pillow-blocks, will do far the better job of delivering parallel shaft alignment. Single-ended arms and pivot, not so much. They want to tilt all too easily.

Simple enough to do any of this stuff for a carpenter or blacksmith. Easier yet for a farm-boy, mechanic, or machinist.

:)

Last edited:
Took some pics of the Drill press as purchased and after a quick wipe down.

Seller also included a few other items. Lol.

Bits, reamers, taps, centers, clamps, a micrometer, a pile of HSS lathe blanks, it was like Christmas going through all of it.

Last edited:

Back