What's new
What's new

SB drill press quill return spring "issue"

lsneon

Aluminum
The return spring spins with the outer ring when the quill moves Z+. The spring appears coiled
almost all the way to the center. If the outer ring isn't staked to the casting, what is
keeping the spring from unwinding all the way to the outer limits? I've tried gently prying
the ring/spring combo off the center axis but something feels real solid. I have another SB
drill press and when the quill moves Z+ the center axis turns but the outer ring remains
stationary causing the spring to tighten. Thoughts on why the new one appears as a solid
immobile unit? Removal?

Attachments

• QRS1.jpg
    QRS1.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
  • QRS2.jpg
    QRS2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 131
On Vintage Machinery link PDF page 4 of 18 shows page 4 & 5 of the South Bend drill press manual and how to adjust the spindle return spring.

To my old worn out eyeballs the spring looks broken a few turns from the center. Maybe it's a optical glitch.

Stuart

Spring is good, turns out it was just seized up solid. Evidently when it seized, someone forced it and rounded
over the little detent pin/thing. Unable to get it out so I can kinda determine what it was. Now down to drilling.
Fore I do, anyone able to give me an idea what I'm drilling into? Hate to take my working DP apart just to
investigate, if anything goes south, I'm withhout a DP.... and we all know taking apart a 70+ year old machine
is always "an adventure"
thanks to all
lsneon20200427_162106.jpg20200427_162045.jpg

Back