What's new
What's new

SB Heavy 10 - need a chuck

MrUnderwood08

Plastic
I need input on a 4 Jaw Chuck....I am about to pull the trigger on a Grizzly 8" 4 Jaw Chuck or a Phase II 4 jaw chuck. Grizzly about 2/3s the price of the Phase II but either way a few hundred dollars. I really can't justify a $1000+ on a new bison, buck or gator 4 jaw. D1-4.

I've downsized my shop recently and sold my larger lathe that was more completely tooled. My primary/only lathe is a South Bend Heavy 10 now. However I only have a 3 jaw chuck.

Lathe is late 70s with D1-4. I am a Hobby machinist primarily Gunsmithing.

Shars 6" on sale $115.18 All the tooling I have bought from Shars has been very good. You really don't need anything bigger then a 6" for the heavy ten. D1-4 6"back plate $78.95.
Chet:)

Shars 6" on sale $115.18 All the tooling I have bought from Shars has been very good. You really don't need anything bigger then a 6" for the heavy ten,

Chet:)

Forgive my ignorance but which backing plate would be compatible with that particular chuck and would it require additional machining. I was going 8" because they make direct mount versions.

I'm assuming you have the larger spindle, not the 1 7/8" spindle.
Google 2 1/4 x 8 backplate. LOTS of people sell those including the current incarnation of south bend lathe.
South Bend Lathe Co.
Thread onto spindle, turn down to fit chuck. Drill some bolt holes and tap them.
Those of us with the small spindle think that is easy street.

industry recycles.

forida based seller on ebay....always has 4j chucks in D1-4

can usually grab a new gibraltar for less than 300
sometimes Bison

^^^^ What he said.

8" 4-jaw will not allow you to open up chuck very far w/o the jaws hitting things. 6" is as big as you should go. You should be able to find a decent 6" 4-jaw in a D1-4 easily enough.

2 piece opens up lots of opportunities - like making/buying custom soft jaws out of aluminum. And replacing worn/damaged jaws. Soft jaws can be right handy, read up.

If you have a hand pneumatic ratchet, you could probably turn the jaws faster than taking them all out and putting them back the other way. Otherwise I guess it would be about break-even on time.
And seconding/thirding/umpteenthing the 6" over the 8". I have an 8 on my 13" and it is about as big as I would want.

MrUnderwood08
When buying or just installing any type of new chuck to the lathe, You should first remove the back plate from the chuck and install it onto the lathe headstock spindle and then take some truing cuts to true up the back plate so that the chuck is now running square and true to the spindle and bed ways. Lots of YouTube video's on fitting or truing backs plates to the spindle and bed ways.
Chet

Most 6" 4 jaws will have a bore of 1.500 inch or more. The Grizzly 6" 4 jaw is listed as having 2.125 bore. Shars is listed at 1.575 bore. I have a Bison 5" 4 jaw which has a 1.375. 6 inch chucks are the prefect size chuck for the SBh10 and a heck of a lot easier when it comes to switch chucks for what ever the reason.
Chet

Back