What's new
What's new

SB Heavy 9: Will I be able to find a tailstock?

nicholasA

Plastic
A friend recently gave me a South Bend 9" lathe after he upgraded to a 14" LeBlond. He only had the 9" a short time and didn't use it much, so neither of us realized initially that the tailstock that was on it was not the correct one. Other than the tailstock, the lathe appears to be in pretty good working order.

After ordering the serial number report from Grizzly, I have found that my 9" is a catalog number '907-Y' from 1937 (ie a "Heavy 9" ). Do I have any hope of finding the proper tailstock for my lathe? I have messaged the sellers on eBay for all the current tailstock listings, and all are too narrow (too modern). Do I have any alternatives to just waiting and hoping for one to come up for sale? It seems that I may be looking for a relatively rare part.

Thank you,
Nicholas

can you post a pic?

"South Bend" can't tell squat about the earlieer models, I "think" you may have an R series.

ps- post in the "serial numbers wanted" thread too, if anyone can identify, it will be Mr. Wells.

See pg 37 of this scan-
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/15299.pdf

BTW- a tailstock from a "heavy 10" can be refitted to your bed, but it involves recutting the base and rescring it to fit the bed.
OR, IF you an find one, the tailstock from a 9"Jr will work.

You might contact Richard King for help in fitting up a tailstock.

Last edited:
Here is a pic; thank you for the link to the Vintage Machinery scan. My machine does appear to match the one in the scan.

The lathe did come with what appears to be a 10" tailstock of unknown origin. It seems to line up decently well side-to-side (but not up-down, of course). If I can't find the appropriate SB replacement, cutting it down to size will be my course of action.

Thank you!

Attachments

• sb9.jpg
    sb9.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 153
That is a Logan 10" tailstock...not sure if the base has enough meat to cut down.

Cool machine though, do post in the serial number thread as I'm sure Mr. Wells will appreciate it.

This Very nice condition lathe is an "R" series Pedestal Drive, Double wall apron, Hardened Headstock Spindle. First listed in 11/15/1936 Bulletin 9-M page 10. Also listed in Catalogs: 57, 96A, 96, 14D, 97.
I'm still searching for Cat 100, not 100A, B or C if anyone has a copy.

Steve

I believe I have an incomplete 9" SB tailstock that I would be willing to part with if your interested.

Back