What's new
What's new

SB13 collet closer removal

ub360

Plastic
Hello. First post here. I bought a South Bend 13" lathe with the collet closer, taper attachment attached to the lathe. I took everything apart to clean but I cannot figure out how the closer comes out. The only thing left is the collar that screws on to the threaded tail end of the spindle. I can see a slot on that tail end . Theres also a hole on the collar aligned with that slot. Wondering if theres a key in there that prevents the collar from unscrewing. But how does it come off? Thanks in advance

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/i/ub360/20220112_200929.jpg?width=450&height=278&crop=fill

Last edited:
Well, the collet closer (if that is really what you are talking about) is just held in with a taper. Assembled, the spindle thread protector should be on the spindle, then the collet closer. Just unscrew the thread protector to dislodge the closer (there's a wrench for that). If there is no thread protector, you can just knock the closer out with a sharp rap from a metal bar thru the end of the spindle. A brass rod works well for that "knocker", or a steel rod topped with a small brass head.

Thanks SLK001 for the reply. I added a picture of the closer to my original post. The picture show the part Im trying to remove. It looks threaded onto the left end of the spindle( the fine thread shown). If you look at the threaded part, inline with the hole, there seem to be a slot. hope this makes better sense. Your reply seem to look at the right side of the spindle( where the chuck is), my dilema is the other side of the spindle, where the gears are.

It looks like you have a hand lever closer from another manufacturer. Look at the picture below at the gear, part #25. This part presses onto the end of the spindle and there is a woodruff key (item #26) that prevents it from spinning. Then, part #22 is pressed into part #25, also with a woodruff key to prevent spinning. For your closer, my guess is that the gear will have to be pulled from the spindle, but as to the disassembly of the rest, I have no idea.

Bad news is that this gear replaces the original gear which drives the gearbox. I would be willing to bet that you didn't receive the original gear with your lathe. Better photos will help identify your manufacturer.

Also, post your images here on this site. No one likes looking at an old thread with pictures that no longer appear because a hosting site has gone belly up, or changed their site to a pay site.

attachment.php

Back