What's new
What's new

Advice needed re: Disassembling carriage

weissman42

Plastic
I started disassembling my lathe apron, on my 1970 heavy ten. I can't figure out how to remove the tapered pin retaining the shaft that passes through the center of the clutch assembly. I posted a link to some photos of my disassembled apron, and of the pin in question. Thanks

South bend rebuild - Google Photos

Do you already have the oil cover, worm gear and other gears out of the apron? If so the clutch assembly will push out from front to back and you take your clutch apart on your workbench, not in the apron. I'm not so certain that's a taper pin, either. I've rebuilt several H10 aprons and none had a taper pin there. It looks like where the retaining set screw from the bottom marred up the clutch shaft.

EDIT for clarity. There is a pin that holds your clutch pack together, but it isn't a taper pin, just a straight pin. Again, you will take that apart once you have the entire clutch out of the apron.

It may be possible to push the clutch shaft in enough to remove the pin from the front but going off memory I don't think you can compress the spring that much.

Are you trying to cure a sticky clutch, or are you tearing the whole thing apart for re-wicking?

If I remember correctly, I removed the assembly as a unit from the housing and then removed the pin, which is straight, not tapered, but mine was a 13" SB.

Ted

well it sounds like i'm taking it out as a unit. i havent actually tested the lathe under power yet, but having brought it home, the power feed does not seem to have any kind of engagement. the clutch lever can be opened almost 180 deg, which doesnt seem correct, and when i turn the leadscrew by hand with it engaged, there is no movement of cross slide or carriage. if you check out those pictures in the google photo album linked above, there was some kind of thrust washer that seemed pretty worn down, although looking at the parts diagram it seems like maybe it was a shim added for adjustment because of wear to the clutch. i also just wanted to check condition of felts and clean swarth and old congealed oil out of the apron. thanks for the help folks. will post more when i dig deeper into this thing.
-eian

i got the worm gear loose and took clutch assembly out of the apron, out the back as suggested, thanks all for the advice. the assembly looks ok, no obvious damage i could see. seems to me that the clutch assembly was just not tightening up enough. i tried tightening the set screw under the clutch lever, i tried turning the clutch lever clockwise but it seemed to be bottoming out on the threads before tightening up. is it possible to introduce another washer somewhere in the assembly to take up the slack? does this mean i need new clutch disks? will try to play around with it some more and see if i can figure out whats up. generally looks pretty good inside the apron. this was supposedly a lathe from a high school metal shop which jives with the general feeling of low wear combined with a decent amount of battle scars from weird crashes and misuse.

IMG_7833.jpg
IMG_7832.jpg

South bend rebuild - Google Photos

I’d clean everything very well, feel both sides of all your clutch plates for burrs, file if needed and reassemble and run. I’ve never had to add a washer, even on a high mileage machine.

Back