What's new
What's new

Oiling the Quick Change Gears - 1929 13 in

miro

Plastic
I recently got a 1929 , 13 inch SB machine with Quick Change.
I've gone over the machine carefully and have pretty well figured out most of the issues.
It is now powered up using a 2 HP motor ( 3 phase , 220V VFD with remote functions - I love that speed control) .

The thing that has me stumped is HOW to oil the gears in the quick change box.
My lathe is similar to the first one here:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-picture-gallery-153748/

The quick change has a single lever.

And the gears are quite noisy when engaged for longitudinal feed or thread cutting.

Thanks,

miro

I can't tell from the picture you alluded to but on my '39 with the single lever box there are some gits oilers positioned around the box for that purpose.

SB_QCGB.JPG

-Ron

The hole above the plate to the left side is the tumbler oil hole(important).The tumbler handle must be in the far left position when oiling it.I made a brass plug that lives in that hole to keep debris out and make me remember the hole.The upper handle has an oil hole with another of those plugs.The gits with the missing cap may not be available any more.Iwould just make a brass cap for that.There is a SBL booklet called "oiling the lathe".I believe its in the files of this forum.The book is not all knowing,but its the best thing available in a world of 750,000 lathes.

The hole above the plate to the left side is the tumbler oil hole(important).The tumbler handle must be in the far left position when oiling it.I made a brass plug that lives in that hole to keep debris out and make me remember the hole.The upper handle has an oil hole with another of those plugs.The gits with the missing cap may not be available any more.Iwould just make a brass cap for that.There is a SBL booklet called "oiling the lathe".I believe its in the files of this forum.The book is not all knowing,but its the best thing available in a world of 750,000 lathes.

I was just putting that picture up to provide info for the OP but thanks for your concern about the long gits with the missing cap. You're right in that I haven't been able to find a long gits like that. I've been going back and forth about just making a new one or leaving a plug in it (as you do) just because it's so much simpler.

Ditto for the recommendation for the SB oiling booklet. Still the best reference out there for these old girls.

As we haven't heard back from the OP I'm still not sure if this has helped him or not.

Oh well,

-Ron

I turn an occasional chunk of cast iron.Anything that will keep that stuff out of my gear box is worth making.My machine is a 13,so the long gits with no lid is on the twin gears,equally worth protecting.The cap I made has a neck on it to clear the gear guard as yours will need to,but in a different place.The thing resembles a light bulb.

Back