What's new
What's new

SB9 Model A Looking for a Belt

FF Titus

Plastic
Hello everyone! I'm new here and have heard great things about this site.

I have a SB9 lathe photos here:

sdsd.jpg

Problem is, I don't know what length is correct, or where to find one.

Anyone have a how-to guide in measuring, or simply does anyone have a place where I can say I have a SB9 model A Lathe and need a belt for it.

Thank you very much!

Hello Very simple Set the belt tension turnbuckle in the middle of its adjustment so you can tighten and loosen the belt,then wrap a string around the pulleys and measure it. I make leather belts here and if you are interested send me a private message. I can make you one that comes apart with a retaining pin or I can send you the leather and you can skive it yourself (meaning glue it together) or I am sure many other members here will tell you to install an automotive type serpentine belt which is the best but you will have to pull the spindle out to install it.

Ronnie

Here's an example of a flat automotive belt (aka serpentine belt), cut to fit and laced back together with telephone wire. The lacing fits into the belt ribs, a drop of crazy glue on the knot holds it together. Some of the guys are using fishing monofilament with good results. The rubber belt requires very little tension.

Paul

Attachments

• PB230002.JPG
    PB230002.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 895
Better than lacing or cliping either one is to replace yours with the proper length auto Serpentine belt and just leave it intact. Knock your spindle out and put it back together with new felts and the belt. You'll have to do the same with your pulley drive in back but its easy and can be done in about 35-45 minutes. That should be good for about 4x the grip of the leather with no point to break and it should last for about 20 years or so. From the looks of your lathe it could probably use new spindle felts anyway. Mine was done about 5 1/2 years or so ago, no slip and it runs super quiet.

Oh, and Welcome to the board, and we're gonna need to see the rest of that poster above your lathe!!:D

Nice tease, lets see the rest of the calendar.

Oh the lathe... leather is nice... serpentine looks cool and works well.. your choice.

Metal clips will click... sewing and glue is a pain... one piece is best.

From the looks of your baby (the lathe) it is time to pull the spindle and change felts and lube properly.

Might as well add bearings to take up end of spindle.

Some work but all will be worth it.

Ed S

Agreed on the serpentine belt. I can't remember how they measure them, on the ID or OD of the belt. The belt packages have the length written on them. But you will need to go to a place that is somewhat helpful. So places keep asking "For what kind of car?", you need somewhere that will think and look at the dimensions of the belts or let you go back and do it.

Hopefully you have enough adjustment in your belt tensioner that you can make up for any error in measurement. (I would just wrap a tape measure around the pulleys like the belt would run and use that number.)

I did not cut my belt and I would strongly encourage you to not cut yours. Pulling the spindle is easy. A couple of screws to get the guards off and bolts.

Don't loose any of the shims (mine were paper) under the bearing caps and it is helpful to have a torque wrench when you put stuff together. I have an older 1920's SB and it does not have felts so I can't give you any advice on that.

After you pull the spindle once you will wonder why you did not pull it sooner. I was worried the first time I did it (first time to clean out chips that fell in the oil hole). The second time around it took me no time at all when I was putting in my serpentine belt, my leather one broke.

I'm with the others on the serpentine belt. While my leather one was still serviceable, it slipped frequently, even with the tension set high enough that I worried about side loading on bearings etc. The serpentine doesn't slip, even with the tension set quite low - but if I manage to crash the lathe, the serpentine (at low tension) will slip enough to prevent damage to the lathe.

I chose to do the cut method on my serpentine - the belt I got (free, from a local Ford dealer, out of their trash bin) had a nick in it, which is why it was replaced, so there was no reason not to cut it. I beveled both sides, drilled holes between the ribs, and pop-riveted through the belt in several places in the overlap. So far, no clicking (pop rivets are buried between the ribs) & zero signs of separation or other problems.

Wow, well thank you everyone! Boy do I feel welcome here!

1st to get it out of the way with the calendar, my wife is a model and here's a basic photo:

amber29.jpg

NOW, do I still have you all? LOL I hope so.

With the lathe, I've never taken one apart, does anyone have a link to where I can learn the terms? Example is when someone says I need to take the shims from the bearing caps. Honestly, I don't know where any of that stuff is.

Since you've all convinced me to get a serpentine belt, I will stick with one of those. I flipped the pully drive to it's correct position this evening and that didn't take any time at all.

So if anyone has a general break down or a how to take this apart correctly, I'm game for it.

Thank you all very much and look forward to many years on here!

Titus

Titus -

Take a look at this link: Rebuild Manual & Kit for 9
The manual, which will answer all your questions, is available separately, but if you don't know the history on the machine, a rebuild is a good idea. Both of my lathes would have suffered from a lubrication standpoint if I hadn't rebuilt them before using them. And after taking it apart and putting it back together, you'll have a much better understanding of how it works.

Also, here's a link to "How To Run a Lathe", courtesy of Steve Well's website:
http://www.wswells.com/data/htral/htral_index.html

BTW, nice wife, but can she make parts?

I am rebuilding my 9B. Lot of work, but worth the effort.

Your wife is absolutley beautiful. Please tell her so. Lucky man, great lathe, beautiful woman as a wife.

Checked the photo and boy you guys are good! Being a good husband I put up the calendar with my wife in it not too long ago, I thought it was in the photo.

Now Brittany and Nicole...my wife doesn't like them too much. They're not very helpful either.

My wife is fantastic, plays paintball, models, self taught cook, extremely smart. She's the perfect package :)

paulsomlo- Thank you for those links, that's perfect for me!

I've got a 9A undermount (belt splice required). My wife isn't so hot so I have more time to work on lathe. I'm interested in changing to a serpentine belt. All the pots I've found are old and photos are gone. Anyone know where there's a good how-to on prepping the joint? Any consensus on the best glue and specific belt (new) to use? McMaster Carr's neoprene are one option. My belt is about 63". Is there an automotive belt I should consider?

Here's what I've been using and recommend: Expertise.

As far as the original poster in this thread, don't know what became of him - between his South Bend and other things, he's certainly got lots to keep him busy, doesn't he?

Back