What's new
What's new

Sb9a apron and saddle wanted!

JKBELL

Plastic
This my first post with practical machinist. Hope that I am doing it correctly. I recently acquired a 1957 SB 9
Model A lathe in pieces (disassembled). The unit serial #; 39768NAR9. Have been able to locate most of the components
needed, except the clutch style apron (A101NF) and saddle(S102NK).Having difficulty in locating either piece at
typical sites, ebay,and craiglist. The fellow at Grizzly suggested I start here!
Does anyone know if there is some limited interchangeability of either piece. Example: Will a SB 9 model B saddle (not set up to taper) or other SB 9'S around the same vintage fit my lathe.Are all the 9" bedways the same for that era?
Likewise,can you substitute a non-clutched apron for the clutched one giving up the crossfeed function and only have
longitudal feed? I took on this small retirement project, not realizing how difficult and costly parts are for the
machine.If there is anyone out there that can help me with my situation it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Here again
c0076180132214bb95ca90c5e64265ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I see you need a saddle also,
So this probably not what you want, Probably best to find a saddle and apron both.
It's always a wear thing though if you know what I mean

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Part out what you have and buy a compleate machine ! You will be much further ahead ! Not a SB expert but I would think any of the same series 9" lathes the saddle would be the same. Be aware that the saddle wears as much if not more that the bed.

Just "sticking" a saddle from a different lathe, onto the one you have isn't a great idea for old machines (any lathe, actually).
The bed you have, has wear.
The saddle you're looking for, has wear.
The wear will be in differing locations and to differing extents.

You don't have the necessary skills to scrape in the saddle to fit your bed- meaning it's not going to fit correctly, and quite possibly (if not probably) is going to rock like a rocking chair when you stick it on the bed.

Many parts are interchangeable without much fanfare, a saddle isn't one of them. Do yourself a favor- find a complete lathe (or nearly so) and keep what you have for parts (or sell them off).

i am located in winchendon, ma. 01475 (north central ma)

If the other guy doesn't have what you need let me know. I should have both from 1 machine. Im grafton ma, about a hr, but have family in winchendon and ashburnham.

Back