What's new
What's new

SBL 10" Hard Ways in Pittsburgh - $1325

Heavy 10

That lathe looks to have a D1-4 spindle? If the ways are good that's a great price for a SB Heavy 10, at least in my opinion. If someone see it, please post a report. Tex

I looked at that lathe, maybe 2 monts ago. It's a decent machine, but not too much tooling. No steady, follow rest, or taper att. I didn't see any thread dial either. Has a chuck, collets and an odd ball toolpost.

A heavy 10 for that price would sell very quickly around here.

I paid $1500 for my heavy 10 with NO tooling. That machine has a chuck, face plates, chuck back, tool post, drawbar collet closer, and a drawer of 5c collets and other stuff.

From what I know, that is a great deal. Must be a function of the economy that it hasn't sold.

Compare prices of Heavy 10's at machinery dealers- they are around $3000.

Thumbz (Nelson)

Just how "heavy"?

Hello All,

I currently have a 10K underdrive that I have just started to overhaul.

I am now kicking myself that I did not wait for this one (but I guess that comes with the territory around here). :)

I'd still consider picking up this machine and selling the 10K, but I am wondering just how much heavier the component parts of a 10L are? It will go in my basement, down angled stairs, so I assume the worst part is the base, since they are 1-piece assemblies.

Any advise from the "been there and done that" group would be most welcome!

Mike

Eat your Wheaties!

Mike;

If you eat your Wheaties it would be manageable for a couple of strong friends. As far as weights, the cabinet will be about the heaviest single piece. I shipped the same style cabinet a week or two ago. It was a foot longer I believe. The weight on that shipment was 484 lbs. That included a light skid, but did not have the motor in it. I would put the weight of that cabinet, less motor around 350#-375#.

You could pull the remainder of the machine down to a near bare bed and all those pieces are quite manageable.

Craig Donges

Hello All,

I currently have a 10K underdrive that I have just started to overhaul.

I am now kicking myself that I did not wait for this one (but I guess that comes with the territory around here). :)

I'd still consider picking up this machine and selling the 10K, but I am wondering just how much heavier the component parts of a 10L are? It will go in my basement, down angled stairs, so I assume the worst part is the base, since they are 1-piece assemblies.

Any advise from the "been there and done that" group would be most welcome!

Mike

Mike:

I moved the whole thing down my basement myself and it was a job!

You need an engine crane- 2T model.
You need to disassemble the lathe from the cabinet. Hoist them separate. Disassemble the doors and side panels of the cabinet. Get as much weight off the cabinet as you can. I then slid it down on a rug using a come along to keep it stable. I'm 6'2, 260 and 51 years old and it fought me good!

The lathe I put on 2x4 skis and ski'd it down the steps using a come along to keep it from going too fast with the engine crane over the steps holding it. When it let go, the crane picked up the slack and lifted it, and I swung it into the basement.

There is a thread on here with my moves you can follow:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=164686&highlight=move+heavy+10

If you have questions, ask me.

Thumbz (Nelson)

Wow, Nelson - looks like the only way you could have managed it alone. Thanks for the link. I do have a 2t engine hoist, but I'd consider just hiring the big stuff out to movers...

Did you do the cabinet the same way, on skids?

I've got to turn a 45 degree corner midway down the stairs, and I don't think I have the stair width to avoid repositioning at that point.

Having said that, I doubt the 10K cabinet I have now is much less troublesome.

Mike

Mike,

More time went into the planning and asking questions of others on this board then the move took. I hired someone for $500 to bring the machine to me from the midwest. I unloaded it in my back yard and broke it down there into the lightened cabinet and lathe. The cabinet went through my kitchen on a mover's dolly (heaviest one Harbor Freight sells), then down the stairs on its short side end over end on a rug with a hitch holding it back from falling on me. You can make the turn that way also. With all the metal off that you see in the pics and down to the skeleton with the top off, the cabinet is not that heavy. Keep the sling around it, and move the crane downstairs BEFORE you move anything. Then use the crane to stabilize it. You can also use the crane to make your turn it position allows. PLANNING IS KEY IF YOU ARE ALONE.

As you can see, the lathe was bolted to 2x4 skis, someone suggested that on here. I wheeled it into my kitchen on two dollies that I bolted it to. Hitched it to a come along with was connected to a 4x4 braced across the nearest doorway, so it wasnt going anywhere. The crane needs to be positioned over the stairs with the sling properly tensioned. Take a deep breath, get out of the way and down it goes. If you planned right it goes down and the crane catches it and holds it aloft. The lathe is 400 pounds.

I probably should have disassembled the lathe parts because I ended up doing that later anyway- that would have made things much simpler.

I have been fighting to get it on mobile bases, but as others told me here, forget it. The shop fox bases dont hold up. Unless you can weld your own out of steel angle, it wont support the lathe and keep it level. I am going to just put it on the floor.

Best,

Thumbz (Nelson)

Back