What's new
What's new

SBL 9A QC question

chipmaker38

Plastic
I am obviously new to the forum, so I hope I'm asking this question in the right spot. I have a SB9A I have completely rebuilt. I took the QC gear box apart to clean, replace the wicks and paint. While putting it back together, I somehow developed a bind in the gear tree. Are there any tricks to these things? I do have the rebuild book, but couldn't find anything in it that addressed the issue. When the FWD/REV gear is in neutral and running, you could hear a pin drop. In gear, she hums pretty loud. My next step is to remove it again, stone the sides of the gears, and clean the slots for the key ways. I cannot fit the taper pin it without it completely locking up. Any thoughts? Thanks, all!!

I don't know if this applies to your lathe or not, but when I did the same refurb to my SB 13" I over tightened the ny-lock nut that holds the lead screw in (on the end of the lead screw inside the QCGB) and had to adjust this properly to get it to run smooth.

Good luck,
Ted

I don't know if this applies to your lathe or not, but when I did the same refurb to my SB 13" I over tightened the ny-lock nut that holds the lead screw in (on the end of the lead screw inside the QCGB) and had to adjust this properly to get it to run smooth.

Good luck,
Ted

Ted,

Thanks for the advice. I took a long lunch today and disassembled it. Turns out that the bronze bushing had been boogered up, creating resistance on the shaft and not allowing it to insert all the way in to allow inserting the taper pin. Also, I found a couple teeth on one gear that had a rise to them, so I dressed those up too. It's nice when time isn't an issue. Rushing is the fastest way to redo the job again.

Chip

Back