What's new
What's new

SBL Books

Mr Williams -
Greatly appreciate the effort you have gone to to make all this information available, particularly the Portuguese and French versions of HTRAL. This is the first opportunity I have had to view either of these, after months of part time searching. I had obtained a couple of copies of the Spanish version (Manual del Tornero, Edicion No. 48) from South Bend Lathe Works about ten years ago when I was teaching Machine Shop and had a fair number of Latino students.
I now am very interested in obtaining originals or good quality reproductions of the Portuguese and French editions and would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might be able to share on how or where to look.
Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Steve,
First, sorry, mine are not for sale.

I have found them in basicly 2 places, eBay and the used book database http://addall.com. That is about it. I can say these are all I have after looking & collecting for almost 10 years. I am still searching for the German, Russian, Italian, Chinese and Japanese versions that I know are out there.

When I initialy scanned them I scanned at 300 dpi due to space limitations & my upload speed. I now scan all new items at 600 dpi. The scanning process is very hard on the spine of the books so I am reluctant to do it again. I will also say the new $100 'for crap' Visioneer scaner has developed image problems so I am not scaning any more new items at this time.

Ted

Wow! Your site is awesome! Thanks for the great information.

Does anyone know where i can find some of the blueprints for the projects illustrated in "What to make on a lathe"? I'm looking specifically for the gas airplane engine plans...

W.E.W,
Sainthood is in order! Anyone 2nd the motion?
THANKS!
Ed

Thanks for the time and effort it took to make all that info available to everyone!

Your site is where I found the HTRAL originally(like I mentioned in my topic about moving my lathe into my shop), but I apparently didn't bookmark the your site the first time I was there. If you hadn't taken the time to post this topic, I probably wouldn't have found it again. Funny how that works isn't it?

BTW, I just got my parts manual and maintenance guide for my 10L. When I get my scanner hooked up again, I could scan it in and send it to you if you'd like.

All,
Thank you, I so rarly get feedback.

Imakechips,
That would be nice, a 600x600 gray scale or color pdf if you can swing it.
My only rule about what I put up is not to step on Lindsay's for SBL's toes, unless it is being copied & sold on eBay.
Most of my search hits are on the "south bend lathe" search phrase or by direct jumps. The stats are very interesting. Last month I set a new record, 10 Gb downloads, 25% of which were to non-US IP addresses.

Ted

I ordered this from Leblond, so no problems with the Lindsay for SBL's. As soon as I get the scanner hooked up I'll run it through.

I can't believe that one guy(feedback of the week on you site) said your site sucked. He must have been in the wrong place.

Well, that feed back was from a friend when I first put the site together. She is a web designer and she was right, layout wise, it does suck. I did not inherit my father's artistic touch for such things as layout work. I did the the pack rat gene, and the tinker gene so it is not so bad.

I have orginal SBL parts books that are mutch better quality than the photocopies being sold by SBL/LeBlond. I do see these being sold on eBay, so I my just scan them, image flaws & all.

Ted

I noticed that some of the parts diagrams had stuff circled and misc. pencil/pen marks. I'd love to see what the original SB book would have looked like, as I'm sure that it was undoubtedly better than a cheap photocopy job.

Hey, Bill!

GREAT Site - and many, many thanks.

Have you considered making a CD-ROM of all those Southbend-related files and selling them to offset your hosting costs?

Entering "CD-ROM Duplication" into a browser's search engine brings up many firms offering such service. If one is near your location, you could have a talk with them.

Just a thought...

My hosting costs are about $100 a year. I still think $100 is bunch of money, but considering I pay $50 a month for cable, $50 a month for internet & phone and so on, $100 a year is not so bad. I also did not want to make this about money. My idea was to share what I had, not make money.

Ted

Back