What's new
What's new

SBL Heavy 10L question - what holds saddle down on front (apron) side

geshka

Aluminum
Hello fellows machinists.

I noticed that my SBL heavy 10L has a considerable amount of play in the front of saddle. When I am pulling saddle up I can feel and hear movement. What part is actually holding whole assembly down ? I can't believe it is just toothed pinion and rack.

Thanks.
Gene.

Oh sorry. probably my question is not clear - what I mean is clamping force - I am looking for some part that is holding whole carriage (saddle, apron) down from the front.
carriage.jpg

There is metal bar that is clamping it all down from the rear - part 55 on attached picture, but what is doing the same from the front ?

ETA: OP replied while I was typing this out.

Believe it or not, the rear gib tightness can influence how much the front can be lifted to some degree. This is only usually noticeable if the apron is removed. When the apron is in place the leadscrew is by default holding the worm gear somewhat in place. The carriage lock depending on tightness can also help keep things stable, but there's always going to be some wiggle if you try to lift. The good thing is, normal lathe operation pushes down and towards the front, so it really isn't an issue most of the time.

Front of saddle lifting can be a major pain when taper turning if the attachment isn't set up just so. Combination of drag from the taper turning device and unconstrained front side of the saddle allows things to twist and lift in a inconsistent manner. Especially on light cuts. Enough to throw any accurate taper, morse, jarno or whatever out.

Had a high old time on a precision job until I figured out what was going on and spent a long afternoon sorting the tap[er turner.

One of the two major reasons I dumped the Heavy 10 for a Smart and Brown 1024. Can't be doing with things that don't work properly "just like that". (Other reason was the pathetic tailsock travel.) And my Heavy 10 was a good one too.

Clive

Back