What's new
What's new

Serial Number Question (What is 46054-S?)

zburd

Plastic
I have a South Bend Lathe, Catalog No 30-AB. Says Delta Equipment Co, Philadelphia PA on side, but South Bend on front. The serial number on the bed is 46054-S, but I can't link that number to any specific parts catalog. I need a cross-slide feed nut. Grizzly was unable to help. Does anyone here know what 46054-S might be in relation to a specific model? Once I have the model, I'm pretty sure I can locate the part # and either get it from Grizzly or maybe ebay. Otherwise, I'll need to make this part (or have someone make it for me).

Thanks,
Zach

IMG_2996.jpgIMG_3003.jpgIMG_3004.jpg

Delta Equipment Co is only the selling dealer - a lot of lathes from this era had that info attached to them (by the dealer).

You won't find the serial number in any parts catalog - it is just that - a serial number. The early SB lathes were serialized by the order they were produced in the factory. Your serial number 46045 was a No 30-AB. Serial number 46046 could be a 9", a 10", an 11", 13", 14" etc lathe.

The 30-AB IS the model number for your lathe.

As for your part, you'll probably have a difficult time finding a replacement, so you might as well gear up to make it yourself.

It is highly unlikely you will find a replacement nut. However, you can make one. All you need is a lathe, a bit of bronze, and some time. You can do it on that machine, just lock the compound gib screws and feed with the cross feed.

allan

Back