Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2384
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, new member here, I am currently in the process of restoring my dad's south bend (purchased by him in the late 1960's) Best i can tell it is a 1917 or 1918, 13" swing 5' Bed, cone clutch style apron (not the multi-plate clutch), standard change gear, no chip tray, serial numbers on bed and top of apron match 17760, i have a lot of the original accessories that seem to be hard to come by (steady rest, follower rest with 3 different types/sets of fingers, micrometer carriage stop, thread dial, and a complete collet chuck setup with all the collets and the actual correct thread) however the other 2 chucks i have are equipped with adapters and are not original.

2. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’d date that as 1918 from the database.

South Bend Lathe Serial Numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi everyone, I'll add my info to the mix.

Serial No. 60700
    Catalog No 415-Z
    9" x 3.5'
    SB card says lathe type is a Work.B.Hor.Plain.MD (someone here can decode that I'm guessing)
    Shipped 10/13/1935

Here's the scan of the original card from Grizzly:
    serial-no.-card.jpg

6. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikalius View Post
    Hi everyone, I'll add my info to the mix.

Serial No. 60700
    Catalog No 415-Z
    9" x 3.5'
    SB card says lathe type is a Work.B.Hor.Plain.MD (someone here can decode that I'm guessing)
    Shipped 10/13/1935

Here's the scan of the original card from Grizzly:
    serial-no.-card.jpg
    Workshop model B, although I thought modelB was introduced in 1939.Maybe Mr. Wells can offer more info on this.

Horizontal, Plain (no belt adjustment) motor drive.

Good luck with your lathe. PB

8. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a Workshop 15, next improved model after the Workshop 5. Not a Model B or C, The Workshop 9 ABC had side oiling headstocks with capillary oiler felts.
    See this link for more information on the model improvements:

The SBL Workshop - 9" Workshop information

PB is correct, the card reads, "Workshop", "B" (Bench feet), "Horizontal plain non-adjustable bench Motor Drive".

Great info

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by packardbill View Post
    Workshop model B, although I thought modelB was introduced in 1939.Maybe Mr. Wells can offer more info on this.

Horizontal, Plain (no belt adjustment) motor drive.

Good luck with your lathe. PB

10. Likes DavidR8, SouthBendJoe liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been reading here off and on for some time but here I am and I have a 13X5 South Bend. It was made 4/1942 and sold 5/43 to a vocational school in Detroit, actually Fordson High School. The model is B59M145 and the SN is 139318.

Here it is just off of my pickup!

12. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Circa 1946 9" Model A, Serial 172956

Thought I'd put in the serial number of my lathe, if I haven't already...and if you're still collecting.
    I seem to recall my 9" Model A as being made in 1946. Typical Model A with gearbox and 4 foot bed. I'm
    currently treating it to another disassembly, clean-up, and repaint. Sweet machine. Inherited from my Dad;
    always kept maintained and in good shape. I thought I had gotten a card from SB, but don't know where it is.

Serial Number is 172956

(I also have an Atlas Shaper)

lathe-b4.jpg

lathe-serial.jpg

Short lathe video montage:
    YouTube

Short Shaper video montage:
    YouTube

14. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20200108_200317.jpg20200108_200224.jpg20191224_075329-1-.jpg

Here is a 1942 9B that I'm just starting on. I've emailed Mr. Wells this info already. I am now aware the headstock AND tailstock are incorrect for this bed. I welcome any comments on WHAT they are suppose to be on!

16. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swells View Post
    I am now requesting all serial numbers and dates. I have listed all the early pre 1940, and have a good start on the post 1940 numbers. If you would like a copy of the list, visit my website and click the serial number link. I will update it every week. I only have a few files uploaded at this time, the new site has only been up for two hours. so if you like what you see...tell me.
    If you are looking for something special, tell me and if I have it I will upload it. I just received a loaned catalog collection from the west coast that you would not believe! Everone on this group and the Yahoo group gets a free pass inside the site as I build it. Usernames and passwords will be issued at a future time, but it will still be free to the two groups.
    the site is:

wswells.com

Steve
    Hi Steve, Iam looking for help to identify a South Bend 8"x 6ft , this lathe is in the UK and is Labelled as a N.D. lathe built by Alfred Herbert but is definately a South Bend! I have the serial numbers off the bed which are SL313 F5712 but they dont mean anything to me, I have been told the lathe was originally built for Rolls Royce Toolroom but the previous owner has now passed away, any help would be gratefully received, many thanks Trevor Simpkins.

18. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Slow down View Post
    Finally got around to to posting numbers for my SB 13”. Cat# CL8145B SER.# 2955TKL10. 5 foot bed Year ( 1952 - 1954 ) I removed a equipment number plate from Wesleyan University , Middletown CT. The lathe is in super shape, other than very dry & dirty. I’m guessing that the university was the original owner ��
    1952 13L ToolRoom lathe, the perfect size too!

Thanks for posting,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kilburn View Post
    The # on a lathe I'm interested in is 167RKL7 stamped on the tailstock end. The catalog # is 8187AN. The bed is 7" wide but it has the small bore spindle, so I assume it's a R model. Like to know year of lathe.
    A photo of this lathe would be nice to see, by model and catalog number, this should be a 1-inch collet large bore(L) spindle,
    ToolRoom lathe with a 1796 tubular welded bench with 3 drawers on the right side. Maybe the headstock was swapped?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthBendJoe View Post
    Hi, new member here, I am currently in the process of restoring my dad's south bend (purchased by him in the late 1960's) Best i can tell it is a 1917 or 1918, 13" swing 5' Bed, cone clutch style apron (not the multi-plate clutch), standard change gear, no chip tray, serial numbers on bed and top of apron match 17760, i have a lot of the original accessories that seem to be hard to come by (steady rest, follower rest with 3 different types/sets of fingers, micrometer carriage stop, thread dial, and a complete collet chuck setup with all the collets and the actual correct thread) however the other 2 chucks i have are equipped with adapters and are not original.
    1918 13 x 5 Model 34-B with power auto-apron

Thanks for posting,
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vairmech View Post
    I've been reading here off and on for some time but here I am and I have a 13X5 South Bend. It was made 4/1942 and sold 5/43 to a vocational school in Detroit, actually Fordson High School. The model is B59M145 and the SN is 139318.

Here it is just off of my pickup!
    The model number of this machine is very interesting, can you post more photos, including the plates and is it a small bore spindle?
    This is the first time I've seen 145 used on that early of a 13 inch lathe.

Thanks,
    Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 9" Junior Lathe - serial number

Hello All,
    Just obtained an old SB 9" Junior lathe with a 3' bed. Catalog number 522YBF. Serial Number on bed is 49272-A. Contacted Grizzly and the gentleman was unable to locate the card or the number. Any info would be appreciated! I am very happy to have found this forum. Many thanks!

24. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcload View Post
    Thought I'd put in the serial number of my lathe, if I haven't already...and if you're still collecting.
    I seem to recall my 9" Model A as being made in 1946. Typical Model A with gearbox and 4 foot bed. I'm
    currently treating it to another disassembly, clean-up, and repaint. Sweet machine. Inherited from my Dad;
    always kept maintained and in good shape. I thought I had gotten a card from SB, but don't know where it is.

Serial Number is 172956

(I also have an Atlas Shaper)

lathe-b4.jpg

lathe-serial.jpg

Short lathe video montage:
    YouTube

Short Shaper video montage:
    YouTube
    It is a 1946, does it have a catalog/model tag, I can't see the drive pulleys to tell?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by njboland View Post
    Hello All,
    Just obtained an old SB 9" Junior lathe with a 3' bed. Catalog number 522YBF. Serial Number on bed is 49272-A. Contacted Grizzly and the gentleman was unable to locate the card or the number. Any info would be appreciated! I am very happy to have found this forum. Many thanks!
    This is a 1931 9 Jr bench lathe with the very rare Simplex Motor Drive.
    If it still has the countershaft drive parts, we would like to see photos please.

522-ybf.jpg

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think I read where we determined this is a 16 inch

Steve

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello everyone I am new here, I collected my first south bend lathe today to restore, i believe a 1939 heavy 11 with 5ft bed catalog no 111b no on the bed is 93191.
    I am in the uk and looking forward to getting started regards wayne

heavy11.jpg
    heavy11-2.jpg

29. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wayne r View Post
    Hello everyone I am new here, I collected my first south bend lathe today to restore, i believe a 1939 heavy 11 with 5ft bed catalog no 111b no on the bed is 93191.
    I am in the uk and looking forward to getting started regards wayne

heavy11.jpg
    heavy11-2.jpg
    Hi Wayne,
    This is a 1939 R or T series 11 inch, it's difficult to determine which series it is because of the late year. The 11 inch ended in 1940 as a T series.
    The new T series spindle gave slightly higher spindle speeds over the R series (36-548 vs 40-608) but the T series had an option for adding higher additional speeds(77-1163) Both late R's and T series had tapered gibbs, The early R series did not.
    Both had felt pad oilers in the top of the bearing caps and they should be serviced/or replaced before running the lathe.
    Very nice looking lathe and appears in good condition.
    Thanks for sharing the info and photos.
    If you can read the motor plate RPM and post a photo of the motor pulley we might guess the series.

Steve

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swells View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    This is a 1939 R or T series 11 inch, it's difficult to determine which series it is because of the late year. The 11 inch ended in 1940 as a T series.
    The new T series spindle gave slightly higher spindle speeds over the R series (36-548 vs 40-608) but the T series had an option for adding higher additional speeds(77-1163) Both late R's and T series had tapered gibbs, The early R series did not.
    Both had felt pad oilers in the top of the bearing caps and they should be serviced/or replaced before running the lathe.
    Very nice looking lathe and appears in good condition.
    Thanks for sharing the info and photos.
    If you can read the motor plate RPM and post a photo of the motor pulley we might guess the series.

Steve
    Steve thanks for that info I will check this today for you, the condition does look good but it will need the spindle shimming, I am going to clean it all up properly and service it, i will get new felts and post my progress thanks again, wayne