Results 2,321 to 2,340 of 2359
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swells View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    This is a 1939 R or T series 11 inch, it's difficult to determine which series it is because of the late year. The 11 inch ended in 1940 as a T series.
    The new T series spindle gave slightly higher spindle speeds over the R series (36-548 vs 40-608) but the T series had an option for adding higher additional speeds(77-1163) Both late R's and T series had tapered gibbs, The early R series did not.
    Both had felt pad oilers in the top of the bearing caps and they should be serviced/or replaced before running the lathe.
    Very nice looking lathe and appears in good condition.
    Thanks for sharing the info and photos.
    If you can read the motor plate RPM and post a photo of the motor pulley we might guess the series.

Steve
    It's a single pulley with a g&c motor which looks original hp 3/4 - amps 5.5 - rpm 1440 - 240v machine no 6222s 97
    I had planned on putting a 3 phase motor on and vfd do you think this will be a good option.
    To add a question can I use the felt kit from a heavy 10 to rebuild my 11, I found the right shims for the spindle just need the felt kit.
    Regards wayne
    Last edited by wayne r; 02-05-2020 at 02:45 AM.

2. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wayne r View Post
    It's a single pulley with a g&c motor which looks original hp 3/4 - amps 5.5 - rpm 1440 - 240v machine no 6222s 97
    I had planned on putting a 3 phase motor on and vfd do you think this will be a good option.
    To add a question can I use the felt kit from a heavy 10 to rebuild my 11, I found the right shims for the spindle just need the felt kit.
    Regards wayne
    lathe-pulley.jpg
    here's the picture of the pulley, regards wayne

4. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wayne r View Post
    lathe-pulley.jpg
    here's the picture of the pulley, regards wayne
    With a single pulley, it would be a 6 speed with the lower spindle speeds.
    The original T series motors were 1/2 HP 1725 RPM, So I would guess the R series with the lower RPM motor.

I would think you would be able to use the 10L kit in most of the rebuild, it would not have the headstock felts,
    You would need to measure those to see if a piece left over from the apron sump felt would fit, depends on the depth
    of the slot. Those are F1 white wicking felts, you can razor cut those by hand pretty easy. They need to touch the spindle
    to wick properly. You can cut a small round gray loose felt to go in the top oiler setting in the bottom of the cup
    to keep swarf away from the wicks and hold reserve oil, also slows down the total loss oil system, or replace them with
    small drip oilers with shut-offs.

Steve

6. Likes wayne r liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I’m new to the forum and currently digging for info on the SB 14.5 lathes. Figured I should get mine added to the list.
    I believe it is a
    1953 14.5” serial # 1878FKL12
    I still don’t have the Official serial card but purchased this lathe from the original owner according to his son.

Thanks for making this list it’s great to see.

8. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am new to the forum as well. I am helping a friend sell his lathe. Here is all the information

Serial # 9739HKX13
    Catalog no CL8117E

I have attached the SN card and a picture. It has a 3hp 3 phase motor

sn-card-front-1.jpgsn-card-back-1.jpglathe1.jpg

10. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although I registered in 2015 I haven't posted on the forum.
    I am a hobby machinist who is a retired carpenter. A few years ago I restored a South Bend 9A lathe that I sold and replaced it with a Clausing 4900 that has had a hard life. My new project is restoring a SB 10L to replace the Clausing.

SN - 10519RKX14X
    Catalogue # - 187A

The serial card indicates that it was shipped April 21, 1959 sold to Packard (car manufacturer?).

Do you have a resource for replacement parts other than Ebay? There's a missing tooth on the bull gear and I'm thinking of replacing the cross slide and compound lead screws and nuts as part of the restoration.

Thanks for your help,
    Michael

12. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Serial number questions hopefully can get some understanding with:
    I believe I have a 10" SB - Cat # CL8187R w/ 4-1/2 ft bed, S/N 02903R (as stamped on bed). I have received the S/N card from Grizzly and noticed it does not match with the S/N I provided. Grizzly provided card for S/N 2903RKL9. In discussion with Grizzly, they informed me that sometimes not all the letters are stamped in the S/N on the bed.
    The serial card also has a different cat # and size of bed than the machine tag.
    I have also noted that there is an additional S/N on the tag for "Flame Hardened" which is different than what is on the bed. (02887R). I am thinking that somewhere in the life of this machine, the bed was changed? Is that a true statement??

bed-sn.jpg
    machine-tag.jpg
    tag-sn.jpg
    machine.jpg
    sn-card1.jpg

14. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mirain View Post
    I am a hobby machinist who is a retired carpenter. A few years ago I restored a South Bend 9A lathe that I sold and replaced it with a Clausing 4900 that has had a hard life. My new project is restoring a SB 10L to replace the Clausing.

SN - 10519RKX14X
    Catalogue # - 187A

The serial card indicates that it was shipped April 21, 1959 sold to Packard (car manufacturer?).

Do you have a resource for replacement parts other than Ebay? There's a missing tooth on the bull gear and I'm thinking of replacing the cross slide and compound lead screws and nuts as part of the restoration.

Thanks for your help,
    Michael
    Packard was a South Bend Lathe dealer, not the car company.
    I have some parts...send me an email
    Ted
    [email protected]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c181bdee-ad00-42dc-8b5e-5fac4bd3e43b.jpg  

16. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cgarg View Post
    I believe I have a 10" SB - Cat # CL8187R w/ 4-1/2 ft bed, S/N 02903R (as stamped on bed). I have received the S/N card from Grizzly and noticed it does not match with the S/N I provided. Grizzly provided card for S/N 2903RKL9. In discussion with Grizzly, they informed me that sometimes not all the letters are stamped in the S/N on the bed.
    The serial card also has a different cat # and size of bed than the machine tag.
    I have also noted that there is an additional S/N on the tag for "Flame Hardened" which is different than what is on the bed. (02887R). I am thinking that somewhere in the life of this machine, the bed was changed? Is that a true statement??

bed-sn.jpg
    machine-tag.jpg
    tag-sn.jpg
    machine.jpg
    sn-card1.jpg
    I can’t explain the serial numbers, but that bed design didn’t exist before the mid 70’s
    Ted

18. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the info on the Hawaii Railway Society SB 10L, that we believe was made in 1942 and shipped to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii for service with the US Navy.

Model: SB 10L - 3 1/2’ bed, with taper attachment. Motor and belt drive mounted in the cabinet, below the headstock

Catalog number : 8187Z
    SN: 135111.

USN anchor stamped on right end of bed adjacent to SN.

In addition, the following stampings are present on the tailstock end of the bed.

Just to the right of the SB lathe serial number are the letters: “L.Q.R”, and “W.E.F.”

Also, on the rear way, someone stamped a possible inventory number:
    “MA E127”.

We are very interested in deciphering these stampings as it could possibly help write the story of how this machine contributed to the war effort in the Pacific.

Thanks very much for any information you may be able to offer.

Best Regards,

Glenn Brooks
    Train Fitter, Machinist Volunteer
    Hawaii Railway Society

c562a89d-6ad4-401c-bebd-5270dc045e4c.jpg
    bf35c260-c58c-4092-959f-85081d13a141.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e5ae66df-20e2-4dda-9393-817ce3156756.jpg  

20. Likes swells liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just received the SN card for the one listed on the "Flame Hardened" tag (02887R). Same issue with this card as the other card.
    Does not match - extra letters after the serial number provided, cat #, bed length, etc...

I did find some other numbers on the "V" side of the bed also.

sn-card02887.jpg

v-side-numbers.jpg

22. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_M View Post
    Hi I’m new to the forum and currently digging for info on the SB 14.5 lathes. Figured I should get mine added to the list.
    I believe it is a
    1953 14.5” serial # 1878FKL12
    I still don’t have the Official serial card but purchased this lathe from the original owner according to his son.

Thanks for making this list it’s great to see.
    1953 or 1954, I don't have enough confirmed dates to define it. The serial card would help the database.
    Is the Model and length on the tag?
    Thanks for posting info.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by musicalfisherman View Post
    I am new to the forum as well. I am helping a friend sell his lathe. Here is all the information

Serial # 9739HKX13
    Catalog no CL8117E

I have attached the SN card and a picture. It has a 3hp 3 phase motor

sn-card-front-1.jpgsn-card-back-1.jpglathe1.jpg
    Thanks for the info, and card.
    When pricing, Remember this is a Toolroom lathe.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mirain View Post

SN - 10519RKX14X
    Catalogue # - 187A

Thanks for your help,
    Michael
    Thank you for the confirmed ship date and info, see Ted Pflugner for parts ([email protected]

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

bed-sn.jpg
    machine-tag.jpg
    tag-sn.jpg
    machine.jpg
    sn-card1.jpg
    best guess, No, the bed does not appear to have been changed.
    The serial card is for an older 1951 lathe with single tumbler and is incorrect for your lathe.
    It probably matches the 2903RKL9 lathe. Your lathe is a 1987
    the stamps and plates are wrong also, they should be 22887R or 22903R, they are very close together and the same year.
    Just a mistake in tagging and stamping.
    Very nice late model lathe, perfect condition.
    will post more later, with Ted's input on why it has to be a late model.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I thought this was a 1987, but now I'll have to walk that back.
    It would be more likely that the first two numbers are reversed and the serial should be 20903R.
    That would be a 1978. after looking at the reverse switch, it does not look original, I thought it was
    a later square switch, but I believe the original drum switch was replaced now. The bed design is post the employee
    buy out and the gearbox tag confirms that. These tags were first seen in 1976.
    Unless Ted can see something that points to later than 1978, like maybe the screws in the leadscrew support in the photo,
    I'll stay with the 78 year guess.
    Very interesting serial number puzzle, thanks for the info and photos

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information. You guys are great!!
    Couple more pic's if that helps.
    Also any idea on the other numbers stamped on the tail end of bed "V" side? Starts with DD. Department of Defense?

img_0731.jpg

img_0732.jpg

v-side-numbers.jpg

29. Likes swells liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the information. You guys are great!!
    Couple more pic's if that helps.
    Also any idea on the other numbers stamped on the tail end of bed "V" side? Starts with DD. Department of Defense?

img_0731.jpg

img_0732.jpg

v-side-numbers.jpg
    That is the Bed unit code, I can't read it in the photo(old eyes)
    You might look in the underdrive motor assembly to see if the motor paper tag is still there, sometimes there is a date on it.
    and also try to read the motor info plate or shoot a photo of it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swells View Post
    Well I thought this was a 1987, but now I'll have to walk that back.
    It would be more likely that the first two numbers are reversed and the serial should be 20903R.
    That would be a 1978. after looking at the reverse switch, it does not look original, I thought it was
    a later square switch, but I believe the original drum switch was replaced now. The bed design is post the employee
    buy out and the gearbox tag confirms that. These tags were first seen in 1976.
    Unless Ted can see something that points to later than 1978, like maybe the screws in the leadscrew support in the photo,
    I'll stay with the 78 year guess.
    Very interesting serial number puzzle, thanks for the info and photos

Steve
    Steve,
    It might been a little newer. That headstock was machined on a CNC machining center, which they didn’t start doing that until about 1980ish. You can tell by (among others things) the large chamfers on the vent holes caused by the spotting drill, and that the Sphinx feet are solid across the front.
    Something sure is amiss with that serial number. Things like that never happened
    Ted

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs down 1925 SB 9” x48”

Hi Steve,

Here is some SN info and a couple of pics of my personal SB9”.

Now I don’t have the SB card from Grizzly, but do have the original factory inspection tag (image attached), and a bill of sale from the Seattle Dealer to the original owner. (I bought the lathe from the PO grandson).

Interestingly, the lathe still has the original factory scrapings and flaking on the ways and cross slide. Those guys did art work in those days.

Here’s the SN info. Will post a closeup of the info plate pic if I can find it.

SB 9 x 48” w/ QCGB, and following rest. Belt drive motor mount missing- thrown away by previous owner.

Please note, apparently the last 3 digits of the SN were also stamped on the cross slide. Is this a common feature of SB identification methods?

Purchase date: July 14, 1925
    dealer: Perine Machinery, Seattle, Washington
    First owner: Garrick &Co. (Garrick Hardware)
    SN: 31427
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07ed5b0b-33ce-4f7d-9da8-5989e59998cd.jpg   13ad3361-9d5f-410c-94af-1d518a49f57f.jpg   0ae12869-c4ee-4719-b123-7d6804d98dfd.jpg   d63cb59e-d73d-4de2-b3bf-9c7ee98fd258.jpg   dfa22e23-d786-49ae-85de-189979992619.jpg  

33. Likes swells liked this post