What's new
What's new

large chuck block

coyotechet

Cast Iron
All this stay at home is getting boring.

I like to use both my 6 jaw Buck Tru Adj and Bison 4 jaw both 6inch.
At 82 it's getting harder to change them so I made a chuck block that now makes so easy change them that is all most fun. :):)

Chet

Lathe chuck Block1.jpgLathe Chuck Block 3.jpg2 BEARING JAWS.jpg

This is what I use:

attachment.php

It's just a piece of plywood with a board that fits in the gap between the ways glued on the bottom. It really helps protect the ways from falling chucks!

I had plans for a similar block, but never found the time. As a result, I do something even cruder than SLK001. I have a couple of 1x5-ish planks I just lay across the ways, no registers to keep them from sliding around. While the 12" 4-jaw is in no danger of breaking through, it does noticeably bow things when I set it on the planks.

But, yes, now that I have lots of time at home, that's one (of hundreds) of shop projects I may get moving on.

Lathe Chuck Block

This is what I use:

attachment.php

It's just a piece of plywood with a board that fits in the gap between the ways glued on the bottom. It really helps protect the ways from falling chucks!

SLK001 unlike your piece of plywood MY Chuck Block was not REALLY made to protect the bed ways as much (which it does a good job of) as it was made first and foremost to aid changing and installing the chucks. All I do now is put the chuck on the block give the spindle pulley a couple of quick spins and like magic the chuck is threaded on the spindle. Heck of a lot faster, easier and lots more saver from a accidental drop. Lets See your piece of plywood do that.:willy_nilly:

All this stay at home is getting boring.

I like to use both my 6 jaw Buck Tru Adj and Bison 4 jaw both 6inch.
At 82 it's getting harder to change them so I made a chuck block that now makes so easy change them that is all most fun. :):)

Chet

View attachment 283280View attachment 283281View attachment 283282

Nice looking machine Chet, Can you explain your chuck set-up and the brass jaw covers?
That's a helluva a radius for a very thick piece of lumber...you got a healthy bandsaw?
Thanks for posting.

PMc

I think Chet is trying to get me fashion a fly cutter setup on my large faceplate! Hmmm, seems kinda tricky for a first project. Really nice looking lathe and chucks Chet. In one of your pictures it looks like you have another tray on top of your chip tray. What are we seeing there?

I am also 82 and have trouble handling 8: chucks. I have been using wooden chuck blocks for several years. They are a big help. Now I am having difficulty getting thee chucks up onto the blocks so I will be adapting a Northern Tool jib crane for that purpose. I plan to floor mount it next to the left end of the lathe headstock.

SLK001 unlike your piece of plywood MY Chuck Block was not REALLY made to protect the bed ways as much (which it does a good job of) as it was made first and foremost to aid changing and installing the chucks. All I do now is put the chuck on the block give the spindle pulley a couple of quick spins and like magic the chuck is threaded on the spindle. Heck of a lot faster, easier and lots more saver from a accidental drop. Lets See your piece of plywood do that.:willy_nilly:

Yeah, mine is kinda crude. There's just nothing like 35 to 40 pounds of chuck suddenly becoming free from your spindle. At least we don't require a crane to put on/pull off chucks like Abom79 does over on Youtube!

A friend bought a old band saw put on a new blade (12TPI .240 Width)took under a minute to cut the curve.

I do Rifle barrel work and the 4 jaw setup allows me to indicate the barrel in stress free using a cats head on the outboard end of the spindle.

lathe chuck block 4.jpgLathe Chuck Block 2.jpglathe chuck block 5.jpg

I do this, with 2 angled strips screwed to the top to keep the 16" 4 jaw from rolling off when left unattended. Just so happened that a 5/8" thick piece of plywood slips under the chuck and allows it to slide directly on the D1 spindle.
This is what I use:

attachment.php

Back