What's new
What's new

Which Series Letter is this 1940 13" x 6' lathe?

racasey

Plastic
I purchased this lovely lathe in Seattle @ 1975. It was lightly used in an electric motor shop, mainly for turning commutators. It has served me well for 45 years, model making, restoring motorcycles, and all manner of maintenance tasks. The images below show the SBL serial card, and several views of the lathe. I simply am unable to determine which series it is. My suspicion is "O". Can someone help clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Dick C.

XcJ39tF.jpg

qFBjd9h.jpg

ZmY4C56.jpg

P397YSz.jpg

HLb7k7z.jpg

sptpoQl.jpg

I have a series S 13" machine shipped in 1943 The difference IS in the headstock.The smooth top bearing cap is the give away.It indicates the cast iron spindle bearings of series S.The spindle its self also has a mirror finish.My serial card has 107 in the headstock box yours is a 104S.Not simelar,but the smooth caps and the side oilers are the same.The catalog that is identified as number 52 in the bunch of S Wells stuff is the one to look at.It has a dark red background.

Last edited:
Hi Dick,
Here is a download link for you, this catalog is not listed on the website. It's a large download, it will take a while.
this is the revised catalog 100, the "A" version that shows the new S-series lathes, your very early S-series Pedestal Drive 13 is listed on catalog page 32. On the PDF counter it's page 34.

http://www.wswells.com/download/1941-cat-100a.pdf

Enjoy,
Steve

Hi Dick,
Here is a download link for you, this catalog is not listed on the website. It's a large download, it will take a while.
this is the revised catalog 100, the "A" version that shows the new S-series lathes, your very early S-series Pedestal Drive 13 is listed on catalog page 32. On the PDF counter it's page 34.

http://www.wswells.com/download/1941-cat-100a.pdf

Enjoy,
Steve
Many thanks for the link to the catalog.It shows both my WW2 vintage SBL machines.

Now I see that one.The two supports on the left appear to be in the gear guard mounting holes.The one on the right may also be using the gear guard mounting hole at the back. I'm looking at my machine and the post photos.Maybe the OP will comment.

Now I see that one.The two supports on the left appear to be in the gear guard mounting holes.The one on the right may also be using the gear guard mounting hole at the back. I'm looking at my machine and the post photos.Maybe the OP will comment.

Happy too reply. Sorry for the delay.

I believe the images below are self explanatory.
Ciao,
Dick C

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

Back