What's new
What's new

Serpentine belt vibration

Sugarkryptonite

Plastic
Hi guys,

Recently installed a new serpentine belt on my 13". The lathe seems to vibrate like crazy as the joint on the belt goes around the headstock pulleys. I have it scarfed almost perfectly on both ends, the thickness of the joint isn't even much more than the regular belt itself. As soon as I release the tension on the belt to take the belt out of the equation, the vibration stops...so it seems to clearly be the belt. This is the first time I run the lathe after a complete overhaul so I cannot say how it was before.

Ground both sides down to the cords and then glued it together.

Anyone experienced this before? Video below (but hard to tell the vibration on video)

https://youtu.be/PeVuLwOYlHo

GP1vs2j.jpg

YItde9L.jpg

It's possible you have the belt too tight. Serpentine belts don't require a lot of tension to drive effectively. Recognize that the glued joint represents a discontinuity in the belt and is probably stiffer in bending than the rest of the belt so with high tension, that will be noticed each time the belt goes around. Try slacking off the tension and see if that helps.

I have it scarfed almost perfectly on both ends
the thickness of the joint isn't even much more than the regular belt itself.

The scarf is bad. Taper both ends from full thickness to feather edge over 2-3 inches.
Almost perfect doesn't cut it here.
Isn't even much thicker doesn't cut it either.

Give it another shot, take your time, make it PERFECT! Not almost. You can do it.

CarlBoyd

Back