What's new
What's new

shaper paint ?

bisley45

Aluminum
I am at the stage of painting my shaper and have a question. I have noticed a redish color of paint on the inside of the shaper is that some kind of special paint that wont get eat up by the oil in the sump ?

Brian Milner

Glyptol paint was/is still used on the inside of engines and machines to keep casting from flaking off on the inside.

Both of my cincy radial drill heads i noticed it in as well.

If it is Glyptal, Eastwood is about the only place the average Joe can buy the stuff. I knew a guy that worked for the railroad, and almost everything he owned was painted with Glyptal 1201. It cost him nothing. They practically gave it away by his thermos bottle full. :)

South Bend Paint

I am at the stage of painting my shaper and have a question. I have noticed a redish color of paint on the inside of the shaper is that some kind of special paint that wont get eat up by the oil in the sump ?

Brian Milner

hello Brian i thought the red paint on the inside of Vintage South Bends is the primer and should be found on the exterior under the original South Bend grey paint. My lathe from the 60s has this primer. Hope this helps.

Jim Murphy

hello Brian i thought the red paint on the inside of Vintage South Bends is the primer and should be found on the exterior under the original South Bend grey paint. My lathe from the 60s has this primer. Hope this helps.

Jim Murphy

Yes Jim that is what I found under the original paint as well. but still don't know if it is a special kind of paint. I looked up the Glyptal paint and that stuff isn't cheep at all..

Back