What's new
What's new

Shars or Phase II QCTP for a Heavy 10

Menessis

Aluminum
Shars or Phase II wedge style QCTP for a Heavy 10? Or even a Bostar? I wonder if the Bostar is the same as Phase II?

Thanks
Menessis

I have a phase II on my SB 15 and an allindustrialsupply on my SB 13. If I was going to buy a 3rd I'd buy another one from allindustrialsupply. Better quality and less expensive.

Ted

ALL the Aloris copies have that backlash...IMO if it's not Aloris the brand doesn't matter....either get the Aloris or get the cheapest copy...a SB9 ain't got the power or rigidity to strain even the cheapie.

Bostar on my Heavy 10. Like it a lot. I'll give you a no-name post for the price of shipping. Wedge or plunger, your choice. No holders included.

If you go with the cheapie( nothing wrong with that) DO spring for the genuine Aloris parting holder...makes a huge difference and will save you lots of grief....75 bucks well spent.

I have been looking at the QCTP sets and wondering about inter-changeability, can Shars/Phase II tool holders be used on an Aloris post, or vice versa? Or if you buy one mfr's post you have to buy all the holders from same mfr?

I had Suzuki tool post on my Southbend with Suzuki, Aloris, Phase 2 and some from ENCO and they all worked fine . This was a piston style AXA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been looking at the QCTP sets and wondering about inter-changeability, can Shars/Phase II tool holders be used on an Aloris post, or vice versa? Or if you buy one mfr's post you have to buy all the holders from same mfr?

My first 9A came with an Aloris QCTP and I wanted to stock up on tool holders so I ordered half dozen Shars AXA. When they arrived they would NOT go on the Aloris. Wound up taking .010 off the back side of the dove tail and now they all fit like proverbial glove. And like several have recommended, replace all the set screws. they're cheeeesy.

If you go with the cheapie( nothing wrong with that) DO spring for the genuine Aloris parting holder...makes a huge difference and will save you lots of grief....75 bucks well spent.

Sorry for the thread hijack (I have a lowly "9" not a heavy 10) but still relevant to your post I think... Anyway, I'm looking at the Aloris AXA-7 for my SB 9B. What blade for general cut-off/parting duties do you recommend? Best place to buy on both? Hey, I figured you would know and save me some searching:D

I put an import Bostar on my 13”, works great. As a simple mod I drilled and tapped the top center of binding nut stud, then captured an off-set ratchet wrench on the nut with a washer and cap screw. It’s the same as having a binding nut lever, and same as using a wrench to adjust the tool post’s angle, but with a flick of the ratchet's direction lever I can instantly move the wrench out of the way, or change it’s leverage point.

Quick change, been out of the loop to long for blade sources but the Aloris will accept all types....aloris themselves offer blades and also a good source used to be Ajaxtoolsupply

Back