What's new
What's new

Shim bearings in 1929 South Bend 9" Junior

Alligator

Plastic
I know there are not an exact answer to this question. This lathe came disassembled, with no shims for the bearings. I have the shim material. [.001, .0015, .002, .003, .004, .005, .006, .007, .008, .010, .015] My bearing seat are smooth no wear. Whwn I lock the screws down it locks the spendel. Can anyone give me arange you would expect the spendel to shim to without play and still turn free. Again I am looking for a rought range to start?

I'd start with a .010 shim at all 4 locations. But try to figure out the proper orientation of the bearing caps if they were not marked before they were taken off. In most cases, the oiler cups would be facing in a direction which allows the spring-loaded covers to be lifted from the front up toward the back. However, given the age of that lathe, lots of things could have changed and you may have to make some guesses when putting it back together.

I have a 1930 9" Model "O" wide bed and I ended up shimming with about .015-.019 combination of brass shims I made. You just have to try to get both the bearing caps shimmed equally so the spindle will turn but not have much play. A "spindle test" using a 2' long bar in the spindle and dial test indicator mounted on the cross feed. That model if it has the same bronze bearing mine has to be below .001 play when you first push down and then lift a bar in the spindle with about 75# of upward force. Sometimes it takes a combination of shims to find the correct thickness. Try to be patient. Good luck!

Regards.
Skipd1

Thanks, I plan to take my time. It is flounder season right now.:) I'm close to 60. I have learned to be patient. It took me 4 months to get the desk I'm going to mount it on like I want it. I don't have any pressing machine work.

Anyone ever try using Plastigage? Seems like an appropriate use.

I would just lightly snug the caps on an stick a feeler guage on each side and adjust the guages till both sides are the same thickness. Then you'll know you'll need be proud of that measurement.

Back